Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goat Hunt - high cal meals-healthy ideas

Re: Goat Hunt - high cal meals-healthy ideas

Somewhere in my meal bags I always pack one large carrot. Its easy to pack, travels well and it feels really good in the stomach after a few days of over-processed foods. Its always funny to pull it out at lunch and see your hunting buddies' eyes bulge and mouth water over something that normally has little value. Best tasting carrot you will ever have. You could also grill it over the fire and add to other meals for variety. I've done this with a zucchini too but it doesn't travel quite as well. Still was worth it though

When we do 3 man backpack trips we have a " no mountain house" rule. The weight and size of 3 of those things is comparable to a combined much healthier, fresher meal. Here's an example:
    Guy 1: Rice- Plain rice or pre-spiced rice you can buy like Uncle Ben's (Zatarain's dirty rice is outstanding after a long day's hike and is a good size)
    Guy 2: Dried, fatty sausage like chorizo , salami, etc. Splurge and get a good one its totally worth it.
    Guy 3: A carrot and a few sticks of celery or zucchini. Or sub any vegetable that packs well and is relatively light like a small onion /broccoli florets etc..

With this method you need to bring a pot but one guy will leave his burner and fuel at home and will be happy to pack a lightweight pot with a piece of tinfoil for a lid instead.
    Fry the sausage and veggies in the bottom of the pot. The sausage will have enough fat to do the job and then add the rice, water, cover and 20 minutes later you're having a somewhat fresher tastier meal.

^^^^that's a great idea...

I like pita's. Don't squish like bread and are always good to dip into cup of soup or stew. Also if taking food that takes longer to cook make sure you plan on fuel for your stove unless you're going to have access to fire wood.

I've learned that things like nuts and cliff bars make my jaw hurt from snacking on it all day. Honestly, I do a big bag of gummy worms for those on-the-move days.

Yeah they're all sugar, but it works for me.

I'm also over MH meals. I pack dry pepperoni and cheese and croissants. Weight wise, I'm about the same and it tastes better.

A warm meal is nice especially on wet and cold days

Okay wicked, thanks for the tips. I made a couple dehydrated meals and bulked them up with some dried oats. And the idea bout the carrot is wicked. Thanks!
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

can't beat macadamia nuts for fuel/weight ratio. good fats and delicious.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?