Somewhere in my meal bags I always pack one large carrot. Its easy to pack, travels well and it feels really good in the stomach after a few days of over-processed foods. Its always funny to pull it out at lunch and see your hunting buddies' eyes bulge and mouth water over something that normally has little value. Best tasting carrot you will ever have. You could also grill it over the fire and add to other meals for variety. I've done this with a zucchini too but it doesn't travel quite as well. Still was worth it though

When we do 3 man backpack trips we have a " no mountain house" rule. The weight and size of 3 of those things is comparable to a combined much healthier, fresher meal. Here's an example:
Guy 1: Rice- Plain rice or pre-spiced rice you can buy like Uncle Ben's (Zatarain's dirty rice is outstanding after a long day's hike and is a good size)
Guy 2: Dried, fatty sausage like chorizo , salami, etc. Splurge and get a good one its totally worth it.
Guy 3: A carrot and a few sticks of celery or zucchini. Or sub any vegetable that packs well and is relatively light like a small onion /broccoli florets etc..

With this method you need to bring a pot but one guy will leave his burner and fuel at home and will be happy to pack a lightweight pot with a piece of tinfoil for a lid instead.
Fry the sausage and veggies in the bottom of the pot. The sausage will have enough fat to do the job and then add the rice, water, cover and 20 minutes later you're having a somewhat fresher tastier meal.