Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Hunt - high cal meals-healthy ideas

Goat Hunt - high cal meals-healthy ideas

Going on a goat hunt here shortly and was wondering if anyone has any recipe ideas for high cal but healthy meals or snack ideas?

jerky, mountain house or trail mix gets old quick. Looking for new ideas.

Like homemade granola etc,

Thanks!
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goat Hunt - high cal meals-healthy ideas

Personal favourite is dried mangos from Costco. Dark Lindt chocolate is another go-to.

I like a few Cliff Builder bars; mint chocolate being my favourite. 20 grams of protein for big hike days.

Another thing I do is take along a small Ziploc of Montreal steak spice and onion flakes in case of success or to spruce up a MH a bit. Alpine Aire makes a dried veggie mix that spruces up a MH meal a bit as well.

I always bring chilli flakes and lots of them to add to the dehy meals. I love spicy so if all of it taste spicy I’m ok with that haha. Couple good choco bars. Always unsweet tea or pink lemonade in the bladder.

If you’re into dehydrating your own meals there’s a guy with a cookbook called backpackingchef.com . Once you start dehydrating you’ll never go back to mountain house. I made his egg/polenta recipe for my trip last week and mixed it with some ham, veggies, salsa and cheese powder. Way better than oatmeal. Other than that I brought a few pieces of dark chocolate, bulk trail mix from overwaitea, a cliff bar every day and a dinner.

Ive also put things like chilli and spaghetti sauce right on the dehydrator. You just have to bring a container with you to rehydrate. I usually let them sit a little bit longer than the mountain house but they turn out way better.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I also dehydrate real food, chilli and spag sauce are always good. I dehydrated baked beans one trip and quite enjoyed it but my hunting partner returned from the latrine with a panicked look on his face requesting that beans be taken off the menu, poor fellow couldn't handle the fibre I guess. Other good dense foods are cheese, dried sausage, nuts. This year I will be packing halva, a sweet fatty protein treat made from sesame.

I don’t know what the calories are like, but I also like those dried pepperoni that don’t need to be refrigerated
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

For breakfast I take granola with dehydrated milk and protein powder mixed with it in freezer bags....just add filtered water and you have a delicious high calorie/protein start to the day.....Can also use as a snack food

Mac and cheese is high carbs Healthy ????????...

I've laid out a meal plan for a 10-day sheep hunt. +/- 2500 calories a day. A close-to-ideal balance between fat, carbs and protein. Sitting at about 14 lbs with a couple of minor items to add. I'll post it up in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I don’t know what the calories are like, but I also like those dried pepperoni that don’t need to be refrigerated
    Me too, along with jerky.......