Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scent control vs scent masking/playing the wind...or both

Re: Scent control vs scent masking/playing the wind...or both

Its gimmick in my opinion at least for rifle hunting. Play the wind, move slow let your eyes and ears do the work. I could see getting a little more serious about it with bow hunting or in a ground blind.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    You have clearly made your choice with scent control outside of wasting a little time and money your not hurting yourself lol

In time and with experience you will slowly learn what is a gimmick and what is not when it comes to hunting. The true factor in success in hunting is knowledge about the animals you hunt, the area your hunting, and the habitat that species prefers. You don’t buy this and it’s not sold in a store but it will cost you time and money to learn

Investing in gaining knowledge and improving your skills as a hunter would be a lot more useful in my opinion but hey it’s your money and hunt
    This is solid information. I’m guilty of trying a few products in my day, but nothing beats time in the woods. Period.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

You have clearly made your choice with scent control outside of wasting a little time and money your not hurting yourself lol

In time and with experience you will slowly learn what is a gimmick and what is not when it comes to hunting. The true factor in success in hunting is knowledge about the animals you hunt, the area your hunting, and the habitat that species prefers. You don’t buy this and it’s not sold in a store but it will cost you time and money to learn

Investing in gaining knowledge and improving your skills as a hunter would be a lot more useful in my opinion but hey it’s your money and hunt
    This is valuable information that a lot of hunters both new and experienced should pay attention to.

I cringe every time I hear the word "luck" used in reference to harvesting an animal.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Actually, “drinking the Kool-Aid” refers to a little event in the late 1970s. You may be too young to remember it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

I tried scent scent blockers and scenting my “spot” with doe in estrus last whitetail season. I won’t bother this year. I saw no more deer than usual, and most of my gear now reeks of fake deer piss. Watching the wind will yield better and way less stinky results!
    Actually I know of the event but was too young to actually remember it. Didn't know that the phrase was the reference though.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    This is valuable information that a lot of hunters both new and experienced should pay attention to.

I cringe every time I hear the word "luck" used in reference to harvesting an animal.
    I venture to question much skill in road hunting

I agree for the most part. This is why I'm on this site. Helps me look at things from another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    I venture to question much skill in road hunting
    Not a highly skilled form of hunting but even some road hunters choose the places they go for good reason. Even among those who focus on road hunting there is a reason a portion have a higher success rate. Wondering clueless hiking or driving don’t make a difference and many don’t get this. Lots of guys out there who cover ground on foot and pray as well

I started hunting with the mentality I was in great shape and could afford the best gear been there done that

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    I agree for the most part. This is why I'm on this site. Helps me look at things from another perspective.
    Asking about knowledge about a species and tactics is where you will get your most value out of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by gamehunter6o View Post
    No matter how well you wash yourself or your clothes, be it with "scentless soap" or the latest scent killer in a bottle, if your scent is carried by the wind to the nostrils of a deer, it will smell you.

Keep the wind in your face or travel faster than the breeze.

Height on a hot day such as up a tree can help as your scent rises.
    All good info imo....there is a saying about whitetail bucks for example: you can fool their eyes and their ears, but you will not fool a WT bucks nose..

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Actually, “drinking the Kool-Aid” refers to a little event in the late 1970s. You may be too young to remember it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

I tried scent scent blockers and scenting my “spot” with doe in estrus last whitetail season. I won’t bother this year. I saw no more deer than usual, and most of my gear now reeks of fake deer piss. Watching the wind will yield better and way less stinky results!
    In an interview with the son of jim Jones, I believe he said it was actually off-brand flavor-aide.

On topic...I use the "scent free" detergents because they dont have the UV brighteners in them, not because of the smell.
    What do you guys think about these "hex suits" that nock-on is pumping? Supposed to eliminate your magnetic field or something? Supposedly he's had great success with super spooky axis deer
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.