Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scent control vs scent masking/playing the wind...or both

Re: Scent control vs scent masking/playing the wind...or both

Well scent is key to success l use moose pee the first thing you get rid of is the blatter well put it in a bottle duck tape the bottle and use little spray bottles and spray your hat and pants one thing all animals we hunt can smell big time l used the bottle of pee for 5 years and there is moose in the freezer because of it

I'm guessing that rain is a great scent killer. Probably the most under rated and best times to hunt. Met a hunter that shot a big whitey while it was raining, wearing an everyday poncho and got really close. The rain not only reduced scent but also masked the sound of him walking through the forest.

Thank you all for the responses. I think that I will do the following. Since most of our hunts involve multiple days and staying at a camp, I will be purchase some plastic totes. When not hunting the exterior clothes go in the totes yo ensure that I do not smell like a camp fire. I may or my not use scent killer spray before heading out. Since I need to wash my hunting clothes I will use scent free detergent and scent free soap for washing up. I don't think the cost difference is that much. Also leaning towards UV blocker but still researching. During hunting I will definitely watch the wind.

If you are interested in seeing the what the saddle hunter mentioned in the OP does, check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_pwNPsz9-Q

Don’t waste your money on descenting crap. Campfire is a natural cover scent that has been used by hunters since the days of spears and clubs that actually helps

Heard from a couple of people back east ( Michegan area ), that the deer are starting to avoid the smell of the scent killers, as they are very prevelant during the season out there. If you must use them, there are plenty of cheap recipes for homemade. Or like Wild One says, just use smoke.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Vini,you drank the cool aide. You don,t need to spend money on products to be scent free. just hunt scent smart and watch fewer videos of american hunters being put out by the companies selling all that crap.

These sent control sprays and sticks always say 98-99% scent control, the trouble is the 1-2% that it didn't eliminate. Thats all the game need. A Labrador retriever can tell the difference in different scents to the parts/trillion, and game animals have better snouts. If they can't see you or can't smell you, you stand a good chance.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Vini,you drank the cool aide. You don,t need to spend money on products to be scent free. just hunt scent smart and watch fewer videos of american hunters being put out by the companies selling all that crap.
    I would have to disagree on the cool aide. oh yahh!!! (flash back to the 90's) . We all thought the really cool aide was so great and now I look at the ingredients and just shudder. I digress.... I'm not really spending much more as the major detergent/soap manufactures make scent free products. The cost difference is only a few buck of which I'm okay with and why not. I'm not going to buy hunting promoted brands. I have some scent blocker spray that yes i got suckered into purchasing so I will do my own field testing but probably not going to purchase any more.

Changing from hunting clothes to camp clothes just seems like a good idea. Maybe there is no really scientific data to support this and I can see how smoke could mask your scent. But, if I can reduce all the possible unnatural smells by not exposing the clothing to camp smells like food, gas, whatever else, then I'm willing to spending the extra few buck on totes and an extra few minutes on changing my clothes. I kinda do that now but don't make much effort in placing the hunting clothes in bags or totes. I kinda like getting out of hunting gear at the end of a long days hunt anyway.

I do agree that I will need work more on my hunting skills. Or at least be more diligent. As I may or may not have stated, this year, I'm going to focus more on "feet on the ground" hunting. To minimize mistakes I have been watching many a hunting videos. I'm a big believer that education is king and also that you need to be conscious of the source of your information. If I did not believe in this then I would not be on this site.Yes american hunting shows are, for the most part, useless in learning anything and very product heavy but I'm only watch these "shows" to see big animals being taken from a stand where game is guaranteed to pass. Not really the case for us up here in the Great White North. However, there is a lot of great information on YouTube. I've learned a lot of great stuff this year like how to read topography, how to ready the land/vegetation and how to go into a hunt more prepared that just going out and winging it. okay enough babbling....

I do really appreciate all of the members feedback and please keep posting..

I'm kinda surprised no one really commented on hunting in the rain. It sucks for us hunters but as I understand it, can be very fruitfull

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    I would have to disagree on the cool aide. oh yahh!!! (flash back to the 90's) . We all thought the really cool aide was so great and now I look at the ingredients and just shudder. I digress....
    Actually, “drinking the Kool-Aid” refers to a little event in the late 1970s. You may be too young to remember it...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

I tried scent scent blockers and scenting my “spot” with doe in estrus last whitetail season. I won’t bother this year. I saw no more deer than usual, and most of my gear now reeks of fake deer piss. Watching the wind will yield better and way less stinky results!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

You have clearly made your choice with scent control outside of wasting a little time and money your not hurting yourself lol

In time and with experience you will slowly learn what is a gimmick and what is not when it comes to hunting. The true factor in success in hunting is knowledge about the animals you hunt, the area your hunting, and the habitat that species prefers. You don’t buy this and it’s not sold in a store but it will cost you time and money to learn

Investing in gaining knowledge and improving your skills as a hunter would be a lot more useful in my opinion but hey it’s your money and hunt