Thread: 5-3 moose. Oct 15-31

5-3 moose. Oct 15-31

Well LEH has been out a while now. The dust requests dust have settled, so I guess I'll try my luck for some intel.
    I plan to base camp out of my truck camper which I'll drop. My brother has intentions to bring a wall tent. We'll probably leave the wive's back at camp. My 3 year old little girl will be along too.
    Any suggestions of where to set up?
    Area's to focus on?
    Going to head up in a few weeks for a weekend scout, look around, and maybe do some fishing too.
    Fully equipped to get off the road and hike. I have good gear and like the exercise.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and I like PM's too!

Thanks in advance friends.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-3 moose. Oct 15-31

Do you have atv's or trucks with better than average rough road abilities?

I have seen lots of people camp at mons lake over the years. Usually two or three camps in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    Do you have atv's or trucks with better than average rough road abilities?
    ATV quad is available to me. Truck is a full size diesel on 35"s… so not all that nimble and light.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I have seen lots of people camp at mons lake over the years. Usually two or three camps in there.
    Been setting up there for years. Decent spot but the moose population is down and same with the deer. IMO

A few years back 7 moose were seen in the Gang area(posted this before) It was in Oct. Between the 3 of us none drew a tag.

Here's Eve's bull shot between Gaspard Lake & Big Creek around the middle of Sept.
    Snow Camp

Carry chains- the roads get extremely slippery when wet. Also could get an early snowfall as above
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I would tell you some excellent spots but I'm afraid they may fall into the motorvehicle closure areas, I'm still waiting to sort this out with the Williams lake department.

Some places that are for sure ok for motorvehicle and atv are stobie lake, the meadows west of gaspard lake which include gaspard, whales and cooper creeks, although you may face some competition.

There red is a trail heading south west from gaspard lake which takes you to hungry valley, along the way there are numerous great remote, secluded and private meadows within walking distance from the trail. Eventually this trail cuts across south Stobart creek. The meadows that follow Stobart are great.

At this point I do not know if hungry valley is a motorvehicle restricted area or not.

Stobart creek and hungry valley are a bit of a cruise from gaspard via either the road or trail network.

Another option is this.. At aprox 30km marker of the 2800rd the 3200forks south west, aprox 2km along the 3200 is a new logging road heading west, eventually doing a large northward half circle and back down, just cutting across a little tit of stobarts wetlands, and another km west it t's into that trail from gaspard.

I regretfully did not check that road out so I don't know if it's gated anywhere between 3200 and the trail.

As you know access is restricted beyond where the 3200 crosses Stobart creek and it is gated there.

In the following picture the icons dead centre are gaspard lake, you can see the meadows to the west. The light blue heading south west from gaspard is the trail to hungry valley.

The marker on the lower right where red meets light blue is the 30km fork.
    you can see that short cut to the west.

Just below the western icon with a 2 is where you'd enter the south Stobart creek meadows.

Also just north west of that 30km marker on the 2800rd is a large swamp, with numerous access points. The creek runs north west for about 12km back to gaspard lake. The creek lies in a mostly wetland valley bottom a few hundred meters wide its entire length, with a trail alon side the entire way as well.

It's actually quite the spider web of trails out there, you can get directly from any point to any other point, on horseback but many are wide enough for atv's.

wow!… amazing intel. So much more than expected!
    I'm very grateful..Thank you very much!

If hungry, dash valley are indeed open to atv access then camping
    where that road meets the trail just above stobart creek would be my choice. It gives you a centralized camp location. There's a lot of sheltered pockets, ponds, lakes down there but it's way too far to hunt on foot, carry anything back to camp on foot so not really of interest without the aid of motorvehicle of some sort or horses.

The most western fringes of hungry valley have always been prime. There's been a lot of logging in the areas north and south to about mid way west, but beyond that it's fairly encapsulated in untouched, and there's always been a lot of ungulate activity near big creek... This is some 40 km or so south of the big creek community with no road access btw.

Heading into 5-3 this week for moose, never been before
    anyone been in the area lately ?
    many moose around ?
    thanks
    .338 sako finnbear deluxe
    .270 WSM tikka T3 lite
    stevens 16g boomstick
    .22 cooey