Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Hey All,

Though I would solicit you "Experts" on your thoughts about the effectiveness of camo clothing for hunting. I have read various articles and some conflicting. As I understand it, deer are color blind to certain colors. Can't remember which. So that has some merit. I have also read that deer see UV more than colors. So is camo really necessary? Where this is all started is because I want to do some blind hunting. During my research, some people are saying that it'd better to wear black in a pop up blind. So you don't stand out...I get that. Then I though to myself, I wonder if camo patters are actually that relevant to deer or is it just a marketing ploy? My research is conflicting. Lastly, for those of you that do not wear camo, can you recommend decent winter wear that is black and good for blind hunting?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Camo is overrated IMO. Deer pick up movement so if your still they probably won't notice you as much if you move they figure you out pretty quick. Check out the technical outdoor wear ,merino wool, at places like Valhalla. The high end camo is good but way overpriced,the low end stuff is crap.

Its only fashion. Many places require blaze orange. How effective do you think camo is when its covered in blaze orange?

I believe ungulates can see blue like we see blaze orange. I guess it depends how close you plan on getting. If I’m bow hunting or ambush hunting I wear camo. If am expecting to take a rifle shot a few hundred yards IMO it’s not so important.

As for blinds. Keep in the shadow, meaning keep some windows closed

Camo is almost never perfectly matched to lighting and background.
    Movement and scent are more important to deer. Camo only adds to concealment if you are motionless and its brigtness/hues match background.
    Successful hunters wore red or green plaid wool coats for many years, myself included.

Black in a pop up blind is to blend into the shadows and often the inside of the blind is black

As for Camo being effective or needed. For waterfowl I would say yes camo is a big help. For big game when it comes to most rifle hunting conditions nope not needed. I don’t find camo as important at distances of 50+yards with a rifle you can get away with a lot as long as you don’t get caught moving. For in close hunting and bow hunting it helps in my opinion. When trying to get within 20-30yards a deer has more time to pick apart that strange object that is a little out of place so breaking up your out line is worth while. I don’t get caught up on pattern or colour but camo is handy to break up your outline when at close range

If I am hunting with a firearm I just wear comfortable clothes in colours that don’t stick out most of the time. Close range hunting I wear my camo to break up my out line. Pattern does not really matter and even an old Mac jacket helps. That said I have shot a deer at 20yards with my bow in shorts and a white wife beater

Camo is not needed, but i believe it can help. Movement is what gets you busted by the animal and camo can help " confuse them " for that extra few seconds but so does any other pattern that can help break up your outline. The other thing is most out door/ hunting gear is camo hiking gear is usually but not always bright colors.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

You can get away with a little noise or movement but your scent will get them moving in a hurry. Camo won't help with that. That comes from over 40 years of blacktail hunting and seeing some nice bucks hightailing it.

Camo is just something that tickles the little boy in all of us. Some more than others. It's not necessary unless your hiding from humans or other animals that rely on vision as their primary sense. (birds)

I'm not an expert at anything, but I think at most camo can give you an edge over some other colors, especially with a solid texture. I also think a red plaid shirt is equally effective as your most expensive camo giddy up. As firebird mentioned, I also think blues are something to avoid.

One think that always confused me about camo though... and maybe someone here has the answer or can confirm my suspicion. I noticed that when I hit my trailcams in low light, some camo jackets / pants reflect the IR and I glow like a 1000W light bulb. Other materials look drab like they should. I believe deer would see light reflecting off me just like the cameras. I am not sure if this is due to the specific colors, material or some kind of water resistance treatment. What I am getting at though, is I think reflectiveness (and or lack there of) could be 1000x more important than pattern break-up. A vibrant camo outfit at the store might look super cool and give the impression you will blend in, but it might also make you a disco ball as far as critters are concerned. I stick to drab washed-out looking stuff to be safe. Or maybe I'm totally wrong? Hope someone can weigh in.

In the fall I wear camo, but for spring bear I switched to jeans to see ticks better and it made no difference, but bears are often oblivious to everything anyway.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-26-2019 at 07:29 AM.