Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Re: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    No camo for this guy. I get all my hunting clothes from Value Village and look for the green, grey, light brown wool pant bottoms from old school 70's style suits. Super comfortable, quiet, warm, very water resistant and dry quickly. And they only cost $5-$10 bucks per pair.

I don't think camo is at all necessary to get into bow range, but if it gives you more confidence then fill your boots - whatever it takes to put meat in the freezer.

Can't stand wearing orange either - don't like to give away my location to others.

But I will absolutely slap on my orange toque if I've got a set of antlers or a bear hide Protruding from my pack; or if im hunting in really flat open country where there's no timber or hills to absorb any stray bullets

My best pair of hunting pants is a pair of green Canadian army dress pants. Wool/polyester blend, warm, quite water resistant and tough.

I have to admit that I have a Cabela's camo jacket for hunting. It's got pockets in the right places, a hood, and the Dry-Plus material is though not waterproof, water resistant to a degree.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-23-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Whatever you do make sure it matches your truck. Don't be that guy with 2 grand worth of Sitka gear on that's in another colour spectrum from your metallic slate Z71, that just will not cut it.

I agree. I think a lot of guys should be suited up in Ford F150 Interior fabric, that way they would be virtually invisible in their usual hunting location.

Good camo is quite quiet, so its worth wearing while hunting. JHMO though

As a side note my F350 4x4 has camo seat covers too

For elk hunting I prefer camo , when you have a bull tip toe in at 30 yards I will take any advantage I can! For deer and moose I could give a damn.

I hear many people stating how important scent is, but I am amazed at how many guys put their hunting clothes on when they leave Vancouver, stop at every tim hortons and gas station along the way, smoke a few stogies, fuel the quads, cut fire wood, cook supper, sleep etc all in the same gear, then head out hunting in them. It seems counter productive to be head to toe in camo, but have every type of manmade scent all over them. Myself, I dont even like to fuel my truck on the way out hunting with my hunting clothes on, but maybe I am the crazy one.

XPEIER

Camo - pfft. I feel embarrassed if I wear camo when riding in the truck.

I do have camo but I don't think it's ever "really" helped me other than the fact it's my hunting raingear and quiet in the bush.

I read a long time ago that blues and yellows are visible to deer so I have always avoided those colours for hunting.

My favorite is the old grey wool loggers sweater with faded olive or brown pants.

I did pick up a couple wool hoodies in tan and olive for this year - time to pull them out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XPEIer View Post
    I hear many people stating how important scent is, but I am amazed at how many guys put their hunting clothes on when they leave Vancouver, stop at every tim hortons and gas station along the way, smoke a few stogies, fuel the quads, cut fire wood, cook supper, sleep etc all in the same gear, then head out hunting in them. It seems counter productive to be head to toe in camo, but have every type of manmade scent all over them. Myself, I dont even like to fuel my truck on the way out hunting with my hunting clothes on, but maybe I am the crazy one.

XPEIER
    Scent isn't important because you cannot effect a change that makes a difference. Hunt as if you stink because you do. Remember a dog can trail a rabbit or lynx which in winter are nearly scentless to human nose..your breath, dander from your hair and skin. It is not even a challenge for game.
    Atmospheric conditions and humidity, wind and thermals, temperature effect games ability to wind scent.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Scent isn't important because you cannot effect a change that makes a difference. Hunt as if you stink because you do. Remember a dog can trail a rabbit or lynx which in winter are nearly scentless to human nose..your breath, dander from your hair and skin. It is not even a challenge for game.
    Atmospheric conditions and humidity, wind and thermals, temperature effect games ability to wind scent.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Thinking you can evade games ability to smell you is a waste of time. Hunt with the wind in your favor, easy to say incredibly hard to do. So many factors with the wind and terrain, back eddies on the lee side of ridges and tree lines, anabatic and katabatic flow, even figuring out where the prevailing wind is coming from can be tricky. Your never going to fully understand what happening 100 percent of the time but if your trying to consider these things your going to approach your area differently and probably have more success.
    then camo might actually help a little.

duck hunting and turkey I like camo. I stopped buying camo now that my favourite outer wear has solid colors. I feel like I get a false sense of security when im deer hunting in camo lol !

Quote Originally Posted by robbiej793 View Post
    duck hunting and turkey I like camo. I stopped buying camo now that my favourite outer wear has solid colors.!
    100% correct. Waterfowl and Turkey hunting are times when camo is a huge advantage. Any time I’m hunting deer or upland I don’t wear camo and there is orange on my head at least. I didn’t always wear orange, but after seeing all the dipchits in the woods last few seasons, I’m definitely wearing a blaze orange hat at a minimum.

My room-mate from my ski bum days in Rossland is the founder of First Lite, so I wear a lot of his gear. 95% of it is solid color, but I have one wool piece and one jacket in Fusion camo. It’s the quality, comfort and fit that keep me wearing it. You can’t beat merino wool for being active in.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.