Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Re: To camo or not to camo...That is the Question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Camo helps hide you from other humans, that's a major plus to me.
    That's why I wear it.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Big believer in camo. Rifle hunting not so much, have definetly shot more in solid blaze orange than anything else. When bow hunting and you have to make that final movement to draw camo can buy you the extra seconds you need to seal the deal.

Stay quiet, move as little as possible, and most importantly watch the wind.

Do that and you can be successful even if you wear a clown suit (or a leopard skin coat if that's your next best option).

I'll pass on the pictures fyi.....

Whatever you do make sure it matches your truck. Don't be that guy with 2 grand worth of Sitka gear on that's in another colour spectrum from your metallic slate Z71, that just will not cut it.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Whatever you do make sure it matches your truck. Don't be that guy with 2 grand worth of Sitka gear on that's in another colour spectrum from your metallic slate Z71, that just will not cut it.
    Camo seat covers in Elevated Ambush. Smokin’ idea Salty...! You the man...!

I tried going the other way and matching my hunting cloths to the black leather in my truck...but just ended up looking like that biker guy from the Village People....oh, and deer can still run when they’re laughing...!
    Last edited by fuzzybiscuit; 07-26-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks everyone. Since I already have the full camo gear, I'm leaning towards some darker earth tone hiking gear that will be dual purpose, hiking and hunting. I'm not the educated on the good brands, so please make your suggestions. THe clothing needs to be warm, quiet and potentially water proof/resistant. Mucho gracias

There's no need for camo, I have always used Greens and Browns and had great success. Movement/scent/Sound is the key to stealth. Bear in mind it takes a lot of brain power to distinguish individual objects from complex backgrounds (like a wood land environment) Humans can do it, but deer have a tiny amount of processing power compared to us, they simply can't do it, so have evolved a system based on instant flight triggered by movement or scent or aberration. If you stand still and there is no scent/movement/sound or unnatural aberration, a deer simply can't identify you from the background......but as soon as you move...
    Last edited by Fallkniven; 07-27-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    Camo is not needed, but i believe it can help. Movement is what gets you busted by the animal and camo can help " confuse them " for that extra few seconds but so does any other pattern that can help break up your outline. The other thing is most out door/ hunting gear is camo hiking gear is usually but not always bright colors.
    Quite right. It's movement that animals pick up so just freeze.
    You really only need camo if you are doing something the CO might object to.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    Hey All,

Though I would solicit you "Experts" on your thoughts about the effectiveness of camo clothing for hunting. I have read various articles and some conflicting. As I understand it, deer are color blind to certain colors. Can't remember which. So that has some merit. I have also read that deer see UV more than colors. So is camo really necessary? Where this is all started is because I want to do some blind hunting. During my research, some people are saying that it'd better to wear black in a pop up blind. So you don't stand out...I get that. Then I though to myself, I wonder if camo patters are actually that relevant to deer or is it just a marketing ploy? My research is conflicting. Lastly, for those of you that do not wear camo, can you recommend decent winter wear that is black and good for blind hunting?
    I've been hunting in BC since the mid 60's & have never used camo & probably never will because I don't hunt bears &/or waterfowl. I always wore something red & have been fairly successful approaching & shooting deer & moose over the years.

The other important factor is that one can be easily seen by another hunter when wearing hunter orange or something red.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I appreciate all of your comments. Keep them coming. One thing that I will definitely invest in is some sort of head cover mask. I have read a fair amount about this and there seems to be a consensus that the human face is like the light of a light house.

I'm still really interested in your suggestions for good hiking gear that I can use for hunting. I will be hunting a variety of situations from alpine still hunting in early season to spot and stock in the late season. From warm weather to rain/snow. I do know about layers so you do not need to educate me about that. So weather resistant and silent is key

Thank you in advance