Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Re: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    One of the main reasons Nevada banned trail cameras?

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.
    Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

That being said, i can see why they banned them. Different area different problems. One has to look at each area and assess what makes sense for that area. None of those concerns apply to BC. If we want to start comparing rules and regs of our neighbors. Alberta and Sakatchewan allow baiting of bears but we dont. Should we allow baiting because they do, or should they ban it because we have.

BHB
    X2 ... well said sir.

If you follow American hunters at all on Instagram you will see how insane wildlife hunting, photographing, watching is down there, not to mention shed hunting.

They have people that do nothing but shed hunt with special Instagram accounts dedicated just for that. They travel from state to state hitting wintering grounds and picking up sheds. So much so, that they have it banned in certain states until late spring when the animals are likely to have left the area and wont be disturbed.

Its popular even in areas that are draw only as people like to get footage of animals in hopes they will draw a tag.

How many full time mule deer photographers or shed hunters do we have in BC? Do you know a single person who exclusively shed hunts?

I dont. It's simply a different place with different culture and practices and a significantly higher population than up here.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    It would be incredibly hard to police people using trail cams. Good luck finding mine. Hell sometimes i even have a hard time finding my own cameras even with a gps.
    This is the point. In some places Nevada the cams are stacked pretty thick and much easier to find, because the animals are much easier to find in certain spots.

There are watering holes in the desert that you can see from Google earth. I see people post pics of them on Instagram all the time and then footage of animals at the hole.

Different place. Different climates, terrains etc

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    [/B][/U]

Yes!
    No trail cameras during hunting season & say a month before opening. Always been a firm believer in FAIR CHASE.
    The exception is if it can be proven that the cameras are used for other reasons not related to hunting!
    Agree 100%....no reason to use electronic surveillance to hunt wildlife...just my opinion though!

It is pretty simple, if we want to be honest with ourselves. There is only one question to ask.

"Does the use of trail cams in British Columbia create a conservation concern?"

If the answer is yes, then they should be banned. If the answer is no, then they should be allowed.

From my experiences and the experiences of many that have used trail cams, the answer is a resounding -NO- they do not create a conservation concern.

Keep in mind that someone using a trail cam that ends up patterning and shooting a bigger animal than you does not ​create a conservation concern.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    It is pretty simple, if we want to be honest with ourselves. There is only one question to ask.

"Does the use of trail cams in British Columbia create a conservation concern?"

If the answer is yes, then they should be banned. If the answer is no, then they should be allowed.

From my experiences and the experiences of many that have used trail cams, the answer is a resounding -NO- they do not create a conservation concern.

Keep in mind that someone using a trail cam that ends up patterning and shooting a bigger animal than you does not ​create a conservation concern.
    Very well put. A camera is not going to be the tool that's going to guarantee everyone a buck or bull. That is one thing Im certain of.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Very well put. A camera is not going to be the tool that's going to guarantee everyone a buck or bull. That is one thing Im certain of.
    Nope. Definitely not. Filmed hundreds of wicked blacktails and can't outsmart one to save my life LOL

For every guy who happened to harvest a critter on cam, 1000+ guys harvested animals they spotted with their "high tech binoculars" so I hope the "fair chase" guys don't use things like that, or other electronic gadgets like GPS, red dot sights, range finders... or wear Gore-tex, eat mountain house... list goes on... heck, the "backroads map book" they sell at the gas station the last decade or so led to more animal harvests than trailcams ever will, so better not have one of those either.

"electronic surveillance" someone calls it LOL

Reminds me so much of anti hunters, anti-gun, anti-meat types

308 = "high powered sniper weapon"
    Ruger M14 = "military style automatic assault weapon"
    Deer meat = "poor defensive innocent animal brutally gun downed and slaughtered in cold blood"

Should just have a section on here called "Anti-hunters who identify as hunters" for this sort of thing

Key takeaways here should be:

1) Worry about things that actually matter in regard to conservation
    2) Stop being an anti
    3) See #1 and #2
    4) Repeat #3 until it sinks in
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-25-2019 at 10:22 PM.

But picture this, a Nevada guide outfitter puts out 100+ cameras that transmit photos to his phone so that his guys(undocumented migrants) can drive an animal to a client because they know its current whereabouts to within a km. For every practical tool that the average guys use for it's intended purpose there's always gonna be some guy taking it to the extreme and then some and ruins it for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    But picture this, a Nevada guide outfitter puts out 100+ cameras that transmit photos to his phone so that his guys(undocumented migrants) can drive an animal to a client because they know its current whereabouts to within a km. For every practical tool that the average guys use for it's intended purpose there's always gonna be some guy taking it to the extreme and then some and ruins it for everyone else.
    I'm on the fence about cameras that transmit data as they can be used real-time, similar to covering ground by airplane / drone / etc. You could rig an area with dozens of cams that transmit via cellphone (or heck with cameras, even rigging up motion sensors that send a radio signal would be super easy) and that's a different ball game as you are literally covering ground via cell phone or laptop. I don't think it is a conservation concern in BC at this point but if it does become one, then it should be addressed as Gatehouse mentioned.

There is absolutely zero conservation or "fair chase" concern in BC for cameras that simply take pictures / video and save to an SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Just a matter of time before this happens in BC.

Well i have one camera that sends pictures to my cell. Its limitations are many. First is it can only ne used somewhere with cell service. Second its still a 2 hr drive and a 3 hr hike in. Today i got 15 pictures. Even if it were deer season i wouldn't stand a chance of connecting on that particular buck. Thirdly the buck on my camera seriously isn't worth it.