Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Re: Nevada outlaws trail cams

No. I'd like to know the percentage of guys who have actually killed an animal that was on their cams. I've had cameras out for several years and just get cool pictures and videos. Never shot anything that was on a camera.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    [/B][/U]

Yes!
    No trail cameras during hunting season & say a month before opening. Always been a firm believer in FAIR CHASE.
    The exception is if it can be proven that the cameras are used for other reasons not related to hunting!
    So entirely illegal for hunting use then? When are we more than 30 days from a hunting season in BC?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Nope. Like mentioned, opens a Pandora's ox on what is legal and what isn't. Rangefinders, spotting scopes, binoculars, scent blockers, scopes, camo.....
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    No. I'd like to know the percentage of guys who have actually killed an animal that was on their cams. I've had cameras out for several years and just get cool pictures and videos. Never shot anything that was on a camera.
    If you followed my elk thread last year, you see I used trail cams allot.

Trail cams may help, but they don't guarantee you anything.
    My inlaws in Alberta pick the deer they want to shoot by using trail cams "usually a cranker mulie or WT". In their case, they can tag out day one if they so choose on deer I'd consider a buck of a lifetime but they pass and wait for a particular animal often leaving tags unfilled at the of the season. Fair chase??? I think so

IMO, trail cams tell you what there, and when but they don't put that animal in your freezer. And most guys I know that use them "like my inlaws" are picky and pass on animals, not killing the first thing to walk by. So whats the problem???

This is my only animal I've ever caught on camera and shot. I believe I got a pic of my 4x3 blacktail in June of the year I shot him. he only has a single brow tine on the left side and pretty sure it was him. camera was in that spot for 5 months, and only one pic.

Anyhow, I could have shot smaller bulls and cows but passed waiting for a bigger bull. So fair chase??? I think so

Last edited by Ron.C; 07-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I shot an immature bull moose last year that I had on camera. I also had 3 other bulls on the same camera so I had a pretty good idea I would run into one of them sooner or later. It did make the difference between sticking it out in that area and moving to another. The tag I had was for antlered moose from Nov 1st to 30th. While the deer population in that area wasn’t the best I decided to put most my effort in there since I had the bulls on camera not long before the season opened up and there were a few deer in the area too.

Trailcams are negligible when it comes to having any sort of advantage.

I have seen hundreds of critters (deer, bear, cougar, bobcat, moose, coyote, etc) on my cams. Out of those I have seen 2 bears and 1 doe in person. And one of those bears I had already seen in person before seeing it on cams and the other I didn't even realize I had it on a cam (a few km away) until 2 years after I shot it.

Same guys that talk about it being an "advantage" all pack around expensive binos, scopes, electric bikes (the list goes on) all of which give infinitely more advantage.

It's just one of those topics that get hunters saying anti-hunter things.

"Seasons should be shorter"
    "all October should be bow season"
    "shouldn't be allowed to hunt during the rut"
    "it should be 4pt season all year"
    "you shouldn't be allowed to bait deer"
    "Road hunting should be illegal"
    "Compound bows shouldn't be allowed during bow season"
    "Nobody needs a semi auto rifle. It's fine if they ban them"

Everything I have said above has been suggested from time to time on the forum. If half these ingenious proposals came through, I suspect we'd probably just end up with a week long hunting season, probably traditional bow and it would make absolutely no difference in game numbers.

I think there's a certain element of "well I don't use that type of gun", "I don't hunt with that method" that leads to indifference of and even support for bans and most often without a viable case to stand on... in this case "fair chase" doesn't hold up to the slightest level of scrutiny... I hope nobody suggesting otherwise uses binos or scopes
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-25-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    So where do you draw the line at fair chase? Range finders, scopes that can make most guys shoots out to 500m easily and trained guys out to 1km, bipods, lighted nocks, electric bikes, mechanical broadheads?

The list go on and on. A traditional bow hunter thinks the modern compound bow is not fairchase bowhunting?

I used to know a guy that did not have a 4x4 and he said it was unfair they "could go anywhere". Once again, where do you draw the line.

BHB
    Forgot to mention wireless trail cameras used for hunting only.

I am sitting on the fence regarding the first reg but fully agree with the second where there is an instant wireless connection to a person’s phone.

Nevada regs
    1)- The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the landowner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year.

2)- If the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31.

There’s a reason for this section -
    27 (4) BC Wildlife Act -A person who hunts game within 6 hours after being airborne in an aircraft commits an offence.

Also would vote against the use of drones for hunting.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I’ve only been running cams the last two seasons. I was in the camp before where I hated seeing them out in the bush and I didn’t have any sympathy for people who had them stolen, I really hated seeing them that much. I’ve mellowed a bit in recent years and I’m at the point now where if it’s legal it’s legal. It won’t be that long before everything is given to the Indians anyway so who really cares at this point if someone else thinks it’s fair chase or not...

Let’s just ban everyone who does not hunt my way and get it over with already

clearly my way is the most ethical way to hunt

I don't use them and I really don't care for them. Do I tamper with them? Nope. Do I think I shouldn't hunt on public land if I see them? Nope. Don't really think it's fair chase either but it's legal so what I think doesn't matter. There was a thread about animals seen on trail cams and then harvested so I think they can help.Very rarely do I come across them but I value my privacy especially in the bush. F###ng cameras everywhere these days.