Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Nevada outlaws trail cams

New for fall 2019, no trail cameras on Nevada public land during hunting season or on private land without written landowner permission. Should we be looking at similar conservation initiatives here in BC?
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs down Re: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Quote Originally Posted by David Heitsman View Post
    ... Should we be looking at similar conservation initiatives here in BC?
    Absolutely NOT!
    There is no point.
    We have enough restrictions / limitations on what we can do out there without seeking more.
    Period!

My 3 peso's,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Nevada outlaws trail cams

Quote Originally Posted by David Heitsman View Post
    New for fall 2019, no trail cameras on Nevada public land during hunting season or on private land without written landowner permission. Should we be looking at similar conservation initiatives here in BC?

Yes!
    No trail cameras during hunting season & say a month before opening. Always been a firm believer in FAIR CHASE.
    The exception is if it can be proven that the cameras are used for other reasons not related to hunting!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    [/B][/U]

Yes!
    No trail cameras during hunting season & say a month before opening. Always been a firm believer in FAIR CHASE.
    The exception is if it can be proven that the cameras are used for other reasons not related to hunting!
    So where do you draw the line at fair chase? Range finders, scopes that can make most guys shoots out to 500m easily and trained guys out to 1km, bipods, lighted nocks, electric bikes, mechanical broadheads?

The list go on and on. A traditional bow hunter thinks the modern compound bow is not fairchase bowhunting?

I used to know a guy that did not have a 4x4 and he said it was unfair they "could go anywhere". Once again, where do you draw the line.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I use trail cams to get a read on travel patterns. Having hunted for 3 seasons now I don't think the trail cams have helped me become a better 'killer'.

I like seeing the pictures of what's going on in the forest when I'm not around. It's cool to see antler growth through the summer.

I don't think cameras increase your odds of killing an animal. It would likely increase your odds of killing an specific age class of deer as you'd likely hold off shooting the younger bucks in the Hope's of getting the big buck.

Is the more to the Nevada story? Maybe geography and climate leads to concentration of cams in an area. Say if you're hunting a specific season and some guy/gal is hunting a later season and is there checking a cam when you are hunting...that piss a person off.

To have them ban trail cams in bc would be ridiculous.

One of the main reasons Nevada banned trail cameras?

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.
    Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

That being said, i can see why they banned them. Different area different problems. One has to look at each area and assess what makes sense for that area. None of those concerns apply to BC. If we want to start comparing rules and regs of our neighbors. Alberta and Sakatchewan allow baiting of bears but we dont. Should we allow baiting because they do, or should they ban it because we have.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

It would be incredibly hard to police people using trail cams. Good luck finding mine. Hell sometimes i even have a hard time finding my own cameras even with a gps.

One law for the rich and another for the serfs.
    Sounds familiar.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

No experience using trail cams, and brand new to hunting, so here is my admittedly ignorant take. To play devil's advocate on the "where do you draw the line question", the dividing line might be "fair chase" vs "killing effectiveness".

Drones are not legal, and I think almost everyone agrees that they should remain that way. Do Trail cams provide a much more rudimentary version of what drones do? Drones could tell you in real time if a six point bull is over the next ridge or not. Trail cams can give you some level of detail that a certain animal or number of animals were in the area in the recent past.

the difference between trail cams and compound bows, bipods, and scopes might be that the compound bows, bipods and scopes might increase the odds of a cleaner kill by increasing accuracy. I guess they also let guys take longer shots though too, so who knows.

as for the article, I think Nevada presents unique challenges with the very low availability of water, and the concentration of trail cams around them.

ultimately for conservation in BC, I don't think removing trail cams even makes the list of most effective changes we could implement.

Thoughts?..

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    One law for the rich and another for the serfs.
    Sounds familiar.
    Don't forget about no laws for the FN's .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......