Thread: SpotX

SpotX

Who uses a communication device while hunting? I'm looking at the SpotX made by Garmin.
    You can send and receive texts, update your family as to where you are. Gives you way points.
    Wondering if anybody has experience using this device or any other devices like this?

Thank you,
    Brian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: SpotX

Im still using my original SPOT, but will be upfrading to the Garmin Inreach very soon.

I wouldn't use any Spot product! Service sucks, and plans are expensive. The Garmin inReach on the other hand is a way better product! more expensive upfront but you save it in the plan and can put the plan on hold when not using it.

Can't tell you anything about the Spot X but like the other posters I use inReach mini and its great.

Here is another post about the inReach:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ni-vs-Explorer

I just got an InReach Mini. It's fantastic!

I've owned three SPOT devices in the past - they are not reliable at all
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Yup inreach..... much better network

Okay so what is good about the inreach? Good reception texts? Does it give you way points? How about updates to your family?
    Thank you

I also just picked up the Inreach Mini and am quite pleased with it. It's tiny and light, and can pair with your phone to send messages (pre-set or custom texts), and create waypoints and routes. You are able to sign up for a monthly plan on the Garmin, where I believe you are forced to sign up for 12 months with Spot. You can also customize the pre-set messages on the Garmin, you just have to set them up at home prior to your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    Okay so what is good about the inreach? Good reception texts? Does it give you way points? How about updates to your family?
    Thank you
    Yes all of that plus topo maps. They use a better satilight network especially if your going north