Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

I didn't want to hi Jack huntertylers thread but I am seriously looking to buy a hobby farm/land. Almost anywhere but the lower mainland.

A little about me I am also 30 years old weird eh. I am a red seal welder and ironworker and soon to be millwright apprentice. Currently renting with my girlfriend out in abbotsford. My lady is a red seal chef (lucky me) and I feel she could find work in most small towns. I will probably have to work out of town for at least a good part of the year.

My budget is low. I have 100k to work with and dream of buying land outright. This would be my first home purchase. Just enough space to start a small farming operation. I would consider a mortgage if the land had a home already situated or the perfect location arouse.

My grandparents currently reside just before little fort
    In the north Thompson valley. I have spent most of my years hunting in region 3-28, 29, 30,39 ext. I am quite familiar with the area and would love to carry on the family tradition of raising cattle and supply the family with meat. I found one acreage up in the Clearwater valley just past all the B&B's, 30 acres for 110k. There are three B&B's by the falls I figure if there's three there must by some tourism demand. I don't know of the regions agricultural uses especially up by bridge lake where I see alot of lots for sale but I don't see any berry or vegetable farms just cattle ranches hmmmmm...

I'm also interested in the Kootenays. I found 19 acres just past Greenwood along hwy 3 asking 89k. I am under the impression the area has agricultural potential. I would love to have an orchard!

Also looking around Quesnel as I feel I could find work in town.

From what I understand to qualify for farm status you only have to bring in 2500 a year. Please clarify if anyone has more info

I found lots of support for young farmers starting out but alot of the resources revolve around leasing land to farm.

Thanks for any input

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

Hmmmm there is a ranch on hwy 97 almost half way to Quesnel...it grows hay..all presold year after year..decent deer population, creek running through it..great water supply..the guy is a WELDER and has a huge custom shop 14? 16 ? Feet high doors...he probably would throw in welding supplies ? Amazing shop up your alley so to speak..
    Not sure how many acres...
    However its listed at over 700, 000.....
    Steven

The areas you mentioned are both nice. I know the Greenwood area quite well. Lots of deer around there, but a lot of private land too. If you want an orchard I’d go there over Clearwater.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Research the farm status gross dollar values more before you get your heart set on that... The $2500 gross business value you stated is for bigger parcels of land, I want to say that is the value for >100 acres. For small parcels like you mention I believe it is more like $12500 gross sales per year, specifically to ensure that people with 10 acre “ranchettes” can’t claim farm status because they have 10 chickens and sell some eggs to the neighbors.

As far as I know, if you are renting, and you want to buy a bare piece of land to eventually build on, you need a much higher than normal down payment. Unless you have some other collateral the bank is interested in. Even some house trailers on land is the same percentage down if they are super old and need tons of work.

Food for thought.

Raw land you'll need 40 to 50% of the sale price as a down payment, so look for some property with a fixer upper house that can still be insured, usually the easiest way to get into some property.

Houston area usually has some cheap land. Not a heck of a lot in the town but great area for hunting/fishing, outdoor rec, etc. You'd probably want to look for some camp work though. Red Chris and Brucejack mine are both good options, as well as LNG in Kitimat.

Cariboo pulp in quesnel is currently looking for welders. Real estate here is pretty cheap compared to a lot of the province. That being said, 100k doesnt get ya much these days...even in quesnel, but if looking for bare land you could find something of decent size.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

There are quite a few decent size properties around hixon. I don't know how much a growing season exists up there. Also noticed many lots around forest grove. I like the thought of buying land outright that I can afford (under 100k) and developing. Preferably with some mature timber as I plan on buying a portable sawmill or Alaskan mill. I would like to build as I can afford it. My dad is a life long concrete guy and together we can build a foundation. I got a 15ft travel trailer I'm trying to convince the girlfriend we can live in while we build or we might continue to rent in the lower mainland. There are so many variables but mostly I am focused on location and largest affordable acerage. I really appreciate input fellas

You might want to start by doing research on the growing season and crops that are feasible options for areas you are considering. It will be way easier to figure out your options once you know what kind of farming, what these crops need and what is even possible first

Tons of places with cheap land but doesn’t mean it’s suitable

Wild One nailed it for the farm part of the equation. The further nort you go, the lower your options for growing get. Living in a 15’ trailer full time will probably lead to living alone full time pretty quickly...

There are so many options if you are interested in being creative, and it sounds like you are. I’d look at using $75,000 as a down payment, as that should bump your number of properties up a bit. At 50% down, you then have at least $150,000 to work with, and $25,000 for materials to build with. That won’t get you everything, but if you are careful, and dad helps with his carpentry skills, you might squeak a small house/cabin to lock-up state for that money. Concrete will be the biggest expense, so I would consider building on piers or concrete blocks for now. If you do it right, you can always form and pour a proper foundation at a later date when your cash supply is back up a bit.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.