Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

Re: Towns in bc to buy for hobby farming

Some of the areas you mentioned have a lot of traffic and trains. Some of them get 15 trains a day. I am a light sleeper and I like something remote. Search realtor.ca and put in the parameters/filters you want ie budget, land size, land type and you can search commercial as well. They do come up for sale because I just got 36 acres of bare land south of Burns Lake. Check kijiji as well. Last time I checked into farm status I think it was an income of between 10 and 20 grand. I checked so I could buy purple fuel for my off road vehicles. Call revenue Canada and get the latest requirement.
    You will have to search around an area with mills or mining to get work in your field. Or else belong to a union hall and travel for work(not great).
    A lot of good info above as well.
    Last edited by tigrr; 07-24-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

There isn't much you can buy these days for 100K.
    It's a sad fact of life.
    Kootenays are the best place to look I think. It's still "relatively" affordable and good soil for growing things.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

You know lillooet is a perfect climate for farming fruits veggies. You have a winery up there fort berens that’s looking to expand, could grow for them and make a lot of money also.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    You know lillooet is a perfect climate for farming fruits veggies. You have a winery up there fort berens that’s looking to expand, could grow for them and make a lot of money also.
    If you have a location with proper water and flat enough to work. No lack of cheap vertical dry land in lillooet lol

TD will finance farm loans to purchase land with as little as 10% down ( might even be 5%) all you have to do is answer a few questions regarding your farm plan . Interest rates are similar to normal mortgage with similar pay down options. Many ppl use them up here in the peace to purchase homes on quarter sections when the banks wont finance the value of the land or require 50% down. I used them two years ago to purchase a recreational 160 acres.
    Train hard....hunt easy

Interlakes area (Bridge/Sheridan) has a fairly short growing season. You’d need to be prepared to put up cloches for early planting, a greenhouse would be best. You’re at 3900’ elevation. Can and does frost every month of the year. As a welder/fabricator, you’ll be travelling for work. Not much call for chefs, either. Perhaps in 100 Mile House, but having made that commute for 20+years, I can guarantee it’ll get old very fast. Best of luck in your quest.
    CranePete

a) $10,000 on land less than .8 hectares (1.98 acres);
    b) $2,500 on land between .8 hectares (1.98 acres) and 4 hectares (10 acres);
    c) on land larger than 4 hectares (10 acres), you must earn $2,500 plus five per cent of the actual value of any farm land in excess of 4 hectares;
    d) $10,000, in order to qualify unused land where the area in production by the owner makes up at least 25 per cent of the portion of the parcel outside the ALR. Some sales of qualifying agricultural products must occur every year.

Plus an application and bam! Farm status! Just kidding hahaha I'm sure there's more paperwork involved.

Living in the travel trailer would be a stretch for my lady. Maybe just for the first summer or two while I build.

My dad and i usually buy navijack and cement and hand mix in a wheel barrow(ya we are old school).
    I figure this would justify buying a mixer and pouring in segments.

Again I'm not really into taking on a mortgage. I would prefer to buy what I can afford outright and build as I can afford.

Bridge to 100 mile can't be as bad a commute as abbotsford to north van. Google maps says 49km.

Has anyone here done a similar venture? I'm curious as to the price to bring in power from the lot line. As well as cost of drilling a well. Well drilling estimates I have gathered are around 5500$ and power from 10 to 30k
    Last edited by fourbyfourtoy; 07-24-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Grand Forks area.

Well drilling say $35-$50 per ft for 6'' casing, not including the pump & accessories install. Hydro rough estimate at around $10,000 per pole. They have a program to subsidize a portion of the new line costs, UAE fund I think its called. Look into solar with gen backup and compare the cost if you have to do a long run of power poles.

I bought 30 acres a couple years ago and will be building in the next few years. It is full of nice second growth and some mature timber, spruce/pine/hemlock/cedar. I spent $7000 on a new bandsaw mill that will cut logs 30'' diameter x 28ft long. You can get one for half that price that will mill a 22'' log. Mine paid for itself in a few months just in my own personal lumber use, & we're logging some of the mature spruce & cedar to mill for building the house (post and beam). I sell the odd bit of red cedar lumber which pays for all the blades, fuel, etc so the cost to run it is nothing.

Having good timber on a property is important, you can save a lot of $$ by investing in a small bandsaw mill but you'll also need some small equipment to log it. If you enjoy the logging/milling process then it is probly worth it, if not then don't bother because it is a serious amount of work to be a one-man 'logs to lumber' show. If you can't fall trees, try to work with a faller if you know any and learn some basics, and never attempt a tree that's above your skill - that's a great way to hurt or kill yourself and end your dream of a farm homestead. Also stay away from the alaskan chainsaw mills, they are nice little contraptions for remote sites and slabbing big trees but are painfully slow and wasteful for stockpiling dimensional lumber. I have a couple and they are like pulling teeth compared to running a bandsaw mill.

Also you should explore the cost of paying contractors vs buying some small equipment to clear and develop your land. If you enjoy the process, and have the time (that's a big one) look at buying some used equipment - a mini excavator and a compact 4wd tractor with a loader can do a shitload of work and are cheap to run. Otherwise save some $$ and pay contractors to do it. A good contractor with some bigger equipment can get a lot of work done very very quickly.

And when you're planning out the whole process and think you have a good grasp on the time, work, and cost involved, double all of that and you'll be pretty close You have the right idea though - build as you can afford it & stay out of debt if you can.

Wish they had a like button^^^^^ for above.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"