Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Atlin for Caribou.

Heading to Atlin for Caribou.

Hey guys
    I was lucky enough to draw one of the Atlin Caribou tags and am gearing up to head that way with my hunting partner the first day or so of September (work schedules prevent us being there for Aug 15). It’s just a quick 2600km drive from my house (one way - only 1600km if I take the ferry to Rupert so needless to say a scouting trip isn’t in the cards. The plan is to find somewhere to park the truck and hike up and in for a week or so. If anyone with knowledge of the area was feeling generous and could point me to a parking spot it would be much appreciated.
    I have scoured the government B.C. maps and leh maps and google earth and have some ideas already but any local knowledge or first have info would be great.

Appreciate any help I can get. Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heading to Atlin for Caribou.

Hmm flying from Atlin towards Teslin lake just past the HUGE gold mining operations..seen on TV..we saw cariboo. .and sheeeeeeeeep.not many and tge distance from Atlin seemed farther than I would want to walk.
    Chris sold the outfit..never met the new pilot/owner.
    But did not see anything close to Atlin en route to Tedlin area.cariboo, sheep were over 1/2 way..
    Srupp

Haven't been up there for quite a number of years but, saw some beauties in Surprise Lake area as well as Carter Mountain. above Indian Lake. Both easy access from town. However things may have changed in the last 20 years.
    Good Luck

Have hunting this LEH area several times. Harvest caribou on two of three trips. PM sent.

PM sent. Hunted up there in '99.....20 years ago already.......saw caibou, sheep, grizz, and moose.
    Good luck, have fun!
    "There'll be no quitters, till we bag some critters"
    WSSBC - RMGA - BHA - CCFR

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Tintina Air now runs float plane service in Atlin.

Thank you everyone for the insight (sorry Tuffcity planes aren't in the budget) and help especially to Cub Driver, Samsquanch, and Mooseknuckler for the PMs.

Don't forget to post pics and a story when you get back.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Good draw to get. We used to hunt up there when they let out a few more tags.

The entire range between lincoln lake and surprise lake and to the south was always good. You could drive up above treeline and take ATV's back a little further to make a decent camp. You'd see a couple hundred caribou in a week.

This guy below came from there. Wide bugger.

Nice to see people sharing info. Good luck on the hunt, looking fwd to your story.
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!