Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon boat vs v haul

Jon boat vs v haul

Thinking of getting a little boat for lake fishing. Want something that i can load on the truck on my own. Looking at the 10ft marlon jon boat but ive never been in one only used a regular v hull car topper and what currently use my canoe. I do like to troll on lakes but like to fly fishing and casting into spots as well, my only complaint with the canoe is wind. Its a real pain in the ass getting blown around a lot. Looking for opinions.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jon boat vs v haul

Son has a Lowe 1040, loves it.
    Light, he carries it on a homemade rack on his pick up. He can single hand load it no problem.
    Uses it for everything from small 4WD mtn. lakes to Osoyoos Lake and even went crabbing in Howe Sound at Porteau Cove, but he's an idiot, I'd never do that.

The Marlon jon boats are super wide for their size, pretty stable for standing up & fishing. Bouncy in any sort of rough water though, they climb to the top of every wave, though not really an issue on small lakes. The 12 ft'er is a little better.

Modified v-hulls cut waves and generally handle better but are not as stable, especially standing up closer to the bow. Also most small mod-v hull boats have rounded chines, easier to roll them right up to the gunnel.

If you like fly fishing get the jon boat.

How are jon boats for a little wind? Im not worried about waves just getting blown around. Also the max load limits on jons seem low. Most of the 10-12fts "other than marlon" range from 350-500 lbs. 2 big guys and a motor and gear can exceed that real quick. Looking at them you would think they can handle a lot more.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

All boats get blown in the wind. I’ve always had Princecraft v hull boats for lake fishing, but the one I have now is a 1448mv 14’ x 48” bottom modified v hull and I’m completely happy with it. I was the last one out this spring chroni fishing in high winds with front/rear anchors; no problem ( and catching fish ) . Ran back wide open in the waves without issue too (20hp Merc) Marlon has improved their boats again making them wider, which equals stability. I jumped in a buddies 12’ x 32” bottom and will never go again. As soon as one guy moves, it feels like the boats going over. (We’re both 6’5” 240lb though) Go around to a few dealers and get a feel for what you like before you buy. By the way, regular square front jon boats are noisier as they don’t cut water.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

i have a 12x36 lowe jobn boat, my favourite lake boat, i think its just over 100 lbs by itself, i can drag it around no problem i put an electric motor on it and cruise around a small local lake for 6-8 hours , , by myself the wind can suck, , i made longer wires for the battery though and throw it in the bow, as well as my gear, helps keep it down and out of the wind

ill be switching it for a vhull though as the other half would like to go for some salmon so a little upgrade is coming lol

I would look at an inflatable boat with an inflatable floor and a small outboard motor. Much more stable and lighter than a jon boat. Higher weight capacity. And safer in waves.

Hey r106. I fish out of Jon boats all the time. I have three. A 1040, 1648 and a bigger 1852. A really good choice is a Lowe 1240. 12 ft long. 40 inch floor for stability and big enough for two. The 1040 is a fun boat but it's cramped if you want to take someone. They are light and VERY stable. Any time you run a jon you need to set up a double anchor system to hold the boat where you want it. Put a scotty anchor mount front and back, pick up two pyramid anchors and you can plunk down on a spot and not get blown around.

Had a Lowe 1032 that I loved. Tippy but so light that I could pack it alone through dense bush without effort. For some reason I thought the 10 ft marlon would fit between the wheel wells of a pickup while the 12ft would not. Something to consider if you don’t have rack

I had a 1232.
    Was only good for the smallest lakes.
    2 dudes and a cooler full of beer and you were overweight..