Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon boat vs v haul

Re: Jon boat vs v haul

I have the 12ft MArlon and I have no problem with it, we have mounted seats in it, have a 5hp 4 stroke motor and an electric. Never had a problem more than any other boat I have had with being blown around. Very stable, once I anchor front and rear for fly fishing I do not worry about the wind. I do have mine on a trailer as I cannot put it on my truck and get into the garage with it on the roof. Only weighs 132lbs without the motor.

Thanks for the replies. Im hopefully going to go check out some boats this afternoon. I have the standard work headache rack with rear ladder rack most likely not wide enough but have a buddy that has an aluminum fab shop so we can make something work.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Pricecraft also makes a very nice boat - sort of a hybrid. The bow and front half is v-hull but the back half of the boat transitions into a true flat bottom. The beauty of this is you get the smooth travel in rivers or heading into waves on a lake. You get a significantly quieter anchoring experience when the winds pick up. You still get the stability of a flat bottom when you stand and cast because the back of the boat is flat bottom. Now if you were looking at a one boat for everything a 12'er is capable of, this is the route I would go.
    I personally like my 10' Spratley as a one-man boat. I've removed the middle bench and installed a pedestal seat but even with just myself in the boat with all the gear I think I might need, the boat ends up looking like a garage sale. That's my problem - not the boat's deficiency. If I have to take others with me or river use, then I use my super wide 12' flat bottom. If I have to pack into the lake any distance with a hill, then I opt for my 7.5' inflatable.

If you're going to take another person at times then I suggest a 12' but no narrower than 40". If you'll just be going by yourself then the 1040 class is great if you just run electric or oars. If you run a gasser then a 12'er is the better choice again.

I sometimes run a 9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke on my 10' Spratley on long travel lakes but I really don't like it. Rowing is my first choice. I sometimes use my electric but rowing is my favorite.

You have to decide what best works for you: transport, loading, handling and storage are all key factors. Don't forget to consider how you'll get your boat from vehicle to water without grinding up your boat.

Boats are all about compromise. You just need to figure which compromises are important to you.

A V-hull is way better when pointed directly into waves but will get blown around just like your canoe or a jonboat if you are travelling across the wind.

I bought a 14' jonboat years ago for duck hunting and use it all summer up at the cabin. I load and unload it myself all the time without much hassle. It is a rough ride in any sort of waves but nice and stable. I think it is only rated for 360 lbs but I don't think twice about exceeding that by a significant amount. The seats are filled with foam so it won't sink even if it is swamped.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?