Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New KUIU PRO binoc harness

New KUIU PRO binoc harness

Well I got an email this morning about the new PRO harness. It's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of features, but I had already bought a badlands case online. The badlands case arrived today and it's too small so I went ahead and ordered the KUIU.

3 color choices already sold out in one day! Expensive but hopefully it lasts a lifetime.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New KUIU PRO binoc harness

Looks awesome... way better than their original harness.
    How is the closure system? Does it use magnets to keep the lid closed and keep the lid down when open?

Looks very similar to my outdoor visions and that one uses magnets to keep the lid down when open

The back of the harness pack is a stiff foam, the lid folds back and 'snaps' over the top edge of the foam. They have a video where they open and close it a few times. No elastic or magnets.

It should be arriving in a few days and I will report back. Things I like about this harness:

1) Lid flips forward and 'folds' down to stay out of the way. Some other forward flippers don't.

2) Lid encases the top of the pack so dust, leaves, snow and rain won't get in. The badlands magnetic seal is probably the best for this, but I don't like how it flops around while open and the magnets can be noisy.

3) It is made from waterproof material. No need for a rain cover.

4) The hydration bag accessory is perfect for day hunts. Low profile. If I have a few litres of water and my inReach I'm very comfortable striking well off the beaten path.

Overall it seems they put a lot of thought into every component of the pack.

Ya but what holds the lid down when its folded open?

Looks to be held open and flat against the pack by torsion. No magnets or elastics. In the video it appears to fold and 'crush' a little to flatten against the chest. I will take a better look when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Looks to be held open and flat against the pack by torsion. No magnets or elastics. In the video it appears to fold and 'crush' a little to flatten against the chest. I will take a better look when they arrive.
    Post some pics. It looks awesome compared to their first harness.

Am I missing something? The only real difference I see vs the original is that the bag extends all the way up to the lid now?

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Am I missing something? The only real difference I see vs the original is that the bag extends all the way up to the lid now?
    The original design was totally different. The shoulder straps were the straps holding the binos. So when the binos were out the case could flop forward.

The new one is a conventional system with 4 straps for the case and additional straps for the binos.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The original design was totally different. The shoulder straps were the straps holding the binos. So when the binos were out the case could flop forward.

The new one is a conventional system with 4 straps for the case and additional straps for the binos.
    Ah yes, that's what I was missing, didn't notice the extra straps! Damn, I just got mine in May, of course they would up release a new version! Thanks!

there are elastic draw strings that control the tension on the flip forward lid, that is what keeps the lid closed, but often not really needed, depends how your binos fit

I'm a big fan of the original version, tried a few but prefer the minimalist design of the kuiu...the new model does have some improvements, extra straps for the binos (4 points attached to the pouch, 2 points attached to the binos), the pouch is moldable to fit binos better if needed, the back of the pouch extends to the top (useful to prevent condensation of the glass from a sweaty chest and keeping debris out), looks like the side mesh stretchy pockets might be slightly larger, extra zippered pocket on the front of the pouch, the back straps are a bit more streamlined and smaller
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster