Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric trucks

Re: Electric trucks

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    I have to think that driving FSRS and hunting from an electric truck would bump a lot less animals, due to the vastly reduced noise as well. I agree that they will be built with the masses in mind, but you know that someone is going to trick one out with two batteries, similar to an extra tank in the truck bed, and jury rig a portable solar charger to one.

PS - I just found this. apparently there is already a tesla truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg
    I think that is just a model 3 someone cut up into a pickup. That's not Tesla's creation.

And is anyone actually able to charge one with a solar charger?!? I havent looked into it but it sounds to me like it would take q very long time using any portable solar trickle charger

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I'm interested in an electric truck, but I would want at least a 700km highway range. I expect that may be a few years away.

I think electric vehicles are pretty cool, and I think those who own them now should really enjoy this "golden age" of electric vehicles, while operating costs are still cheap. Federal and provincial governments currently collect about $25,000,000,000 (that's 25 BILLION) in fuel taxes. They will come after EVs eventually
    I hope GM releases their ZH2 pickup to the public soon, its a pickup they made for the military that is hydrogen and battery powered. 642 km range and can charge in 3 minutes.

it is a DIY modified model 3 indeed. pretty funny but cool at the same time. there is a growing community of people modifying tesla's, and it won't be too long after the full size pickup is released that we see some pretty interesting custom tesla trucks for the outdoors.

in terms of portable solar chargers, the technology isn't there yet, but it will be eventually. That will be a real game changer if you don't need to stop in to gas stations or charging stations. no more jerry cans into moose camp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stosto View Post
    Fuel cost will be the driving factor for most trucks in years to come, since the utility of electic trucks will be on par pretty quick. Your unicorn piss will soon be $300/fillup while the electric dogs will be $30. Over the life of truck that math will be no brainer.
    That is going to be what ultimately gets everyone to change over to electric. Most people want to reduce pollution when they can, but the real push will be how cheap they are to operate, especially for someone that burns something like a tank a week. The savings would be huge !!!

Theoretically a full electric truck with a 300-400 km range would do almost all of us as a very, very cheap daily driver. Pop a good quality generator in the back for those few trips a year where you might stand a chance of running out of charge, and you should be good to go

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Theoretically a full electric truck with a 300-400 km range would do almost all of us as a very, very cheap daily driver. Pop a good quality generator in the back for those few trips a year where you might stand a chance of running out of charge, and you should be good to go
    Most generator set-ups wouldn't be adequate. The charge rate when using a regular 110 V plug is about 4 km per hour of charge (at least with my buddies Tesla). I believe 220 Volt will charge 80% in~8 hours. Maybe 220 Volt generators are available??
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I'm interested in an electric truck, but I would want at least a 700km highway range. I expect that may be a few years away.
    Toyota is targeting that sort of range for their hydrogen fuel cell technology about 5 years from now. It will be interesting to see if fuel cells make up ground on EVs. Right now the latter has much greater market share but companies like Toyota, GM are investing in fuel cells and see a future for them. I wonder too if there is a spike in prices for fuel cell materials like platinum just as there was in rare earths and things like lithium around EVs?

Most generator set-ups wouldn't be adequate. The charge rate when using a regular 110 V plug is about 4 km per hour of charge (at least with my buddies Tesla). I believe 220 Volt will charge 80% in~8 hours. Maybe 220 Volt generators are available??
    I looked that up and there are 220-240 volt generators. There are also people who have used a gen to charge their Teslas. I can't see there being that much demand for a generator for a car, but once electric trucks become available that will probably change quickly.

Charging electric vehicles with gas generators. 2019 you so crazy!

There are likely to be services for mobile chargers, kind of like you have tidy tanks for on site machinery. Something that comes around and recharges trucks and cars when you need them to.

But personal generators, unlikely. A useful 220V generator is likely to require it's own trailer. Ans if you're towing that around PLUS gas for it, you're basically defeating the purpose.

800km range is pretty serious. I dont really see that happening. Those who require 800km of back country use are such a minority tesla will never cater to them.