Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Re: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If I understand you correctly:
    1) You want to keep working in the film industry in Vancouver (e.g. no job change)
    2) You are willing to spend weekdays away from your family (living in your camper in Vancouver) and then go "home" for weekends (that's tough on a marriage, but you weren't asking for relationship advice).

If you're willing to drive, my #1 choice would be Princeton. I work in the public sector and word is slow and steady growth for that town.
    My #2 choice would be the Sunshine Coast - non-waterfront property is actually still fairly reasonable and if you choose your location right it's a good community for the kid(s). The ferry is an absolute killer though - if you're REALLY relying on it, one stoppage and you're screwed.

i know you said you liked Merrit - but I wouldn't touch that place with a 10 foot pole. Addiction issues, climate, dealing with the Coquihalla, etc. etc. if you're going that way, keep going to the Okanagan - outskirts of Penticton are still reasonable-ish for house prices.
    It's actually gotten difficult to find much on the sunshine coast for less than 500k. Average family homes are priced well above that, although it's a good place for a family with good schools. 400k would get you a nice condo here.

You can get what you want for $450,000.00 somewhere in this province. You need to get out and go for a drive. The advice here is great, but in the end, you'll never know until you've spent time in a place. I've lived in 8 different communities where you'd measure my time there in years. I'd say I liked, and would move back to, 3 of them.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

^^^^^^^

what are the 3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your help and ideas. Me and the misses are pretty stoked on merritt for the time being. It makes sense for us. We both love lakes more then the ocean but the island is very nice for sure. We have friends moving to Prince George and we did look into it and would be wonderful but just tooo far for us ( me) at the time being. Definitely a possibility once the kid or kids have moved out lol.
    I could live in Merritt. I moved to Hope almost 3 years ago and I've been spending a lot of time up in the Nicola valley since. You guys like lakes? The area is loaded with them in every direction most of them on the smaller side but they pretty much all have fish. One thing to consider and this goes with pretty much all directions beyond Hope in your situation is having to come down to the city regularly you'll get a good dose of for real winter driving at times. Especially the Coq can be a special bit of hell but manageable if you're prepared. It matters less what you drive than having some kick ass winter tires, splurge. Check drive bc and know when to say nope, not going tonight.
    Last edited by Salty; 08-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    ^^^^^^^

what are the 3 ?
    What difference does it make? I liked them. Doesn't mean you will. In those three towns. Lots of people came and went. Married couples the worst cause you have two people to please. "Happy wife happy life". Having said that. Some liked it. Like me.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Regular commuting on shitty winter roads is a crap shoot with all the shitty drivers and rigs....safety first. Why expose yourself to that risk on a weekly basis. If insist on staying at current job, then wise to stay south of Hope if you can find the right place. If really want to venture further north then shift gears and simply find a different employer. Commuting and being away from the family generally sucks if you are a family guy and the ladies tend to grow tired of this in a hurry.