Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Didn’t want to hi-jack retirement thread, but I’m seriously looking to buy a home/property away from the city.

A little bit bit about me; I’m 30 years old, engaged , have my daughter who is 7. I work in film building sets in north Vancouver. Hate it here more and more each day. Like most of you on this forum I bet you love your space, freedom and the outdoors plus a little less traffic.

Not looking for for anything fancy or “dream home” done to the tits. Just want a place to call my own with space, friendly town, elementary/secondary school for my daughter. Kinda with in driving range to continue with work down in the city living out of my camper for the week or two then driving back home for the weekend. This might not be for everyone but it’s a choice I’ve excepted for myself if I can have some freedom. My “wife” is a care aid so any place with a hospital would be good too. Doesn’t have to close to good hunting because I’d still drive if I have to for that.

Places that have our interest is Armstrong, Kamloops, caribou, pemberton but pemberton is already out of our price range sadly. My price range is 250-450$ with $500 pushing it. Any input would be great and helpful.

Retirement thread has been helpful but I can’t be completely out in the boonies with my daughter being young and in school
    Last edited by Huntingtyler123; 07-22-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Oops

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Armstrong would be at the top of the list for me, great area that has everything within or up to 20 min drive . goodluck
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Armstrong x 2 from your choices. If we get the housing drop they threaten, Vernon, Salmon Arm and places in between could be places to look at too.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

How long is your commute to work?

Lived in armstrong and hated it. You can do much better.

My commute ranges from 5 mins to 30 mins from north van. There’s studios throughout the lowermainland.

Pemberton isn’t all that great in my opinion, but would be closer than Fruitloops. Have you considered Lilloett? They have a great hospital, and tons of good hunting relatively close. It’s a bit too dry for my liking, but real estate isn’t crazy there, and you could find something to fit your budget for sure. Especially if you want to fix something up.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Look at places from Abbotsford to Hope. Prices get lower the closer you get to Hope.

Mission has larger properties - good value for your dollar. Harrison are is nice if you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Look at places from Abbotsford to Hope. Prices get lower the closer you get to Hope.

Mission has larger properties - good value for your dollar. Harrison are is nice if you like that.
    WTF can you buy in his budget in those towns that either aren’t a POS or are in a POS neighbourhood? Also talking about at least a 1 hr commute in bumper to bumper traffic to van from the far end of the valley. Don’t think that’s what he’s looking for

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    WTF can you buy in his budget in those towns that either aren’t a POS or are in a POS neighbourhood? Also talking about at least a 1 hr commute in bumper to bumper traffic to van from the far end of the valley. Don’t think that’s what he’s looking for
    $450 - 500 will get you something pretty decent in Hope (certainly not a POS or a POS neighbourhood ) kinda like exactly where we live.
    He did say that he wasn't intending on commuting daily to N Van, would go to N Van and stay in his camper.
    Good Schools, probably decent employment for his Wife either in Hope or Chilliwack / Abby.
    Not everyone's cup of tea but viable and for a hunter / fisher, pretty close to some decent areas.