Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Re: Instead of retirement towns, towns to buy in for a family

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Pemberton isn’t all that great in my opinion, but would be closer than Fruitloops. Have you considered Lilloett? They have a great hospital, and tons of good hunting relatively close. It’s a bit too dry for my liking, but real estate isn’t crazy there, and you could find something to fit your budget for sure. Especially if you want to fix something up.
    Yes her parents own old airport gardens and that’s where she grew up. She doesn’t want to live there because she knows everyone and small town drama there. I love lillooet

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    $450 - 500 will get you something pretty decent in Hope (certainly not a POS or a POS neighbourhood ) kinda like exactly where we live.
    He did say that he wasn't intending on commuting daily to N Van, would go to N Van and stay in his camper.
    Good Schools, probably decent employment for his Wife either in Hope or Chilliwack / Abby.
    Not everyone's cup of tea but viable and for a hunter / fisher, pretty close to some decent areas.
    Yes, thanks for your input I will give it a look. And yes I’d plan to stay in the camper for most the time so wouldn’t be driving back and forth everyday. It’s the only way to get my foot in the door with property, or I have to wait to inherit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Yes, thanks for your input I will give it a look. And yes I’d plan to stay in the camper for most the time so wouldn’t be driving back and forth everyday. It’s the only way to get my foot in the door with property, or I have to wait to inherit lol
    We retired here 6 years ago after 60+ years in Vancouver, we love it.
    At our age, proximity to Health Care was pretty important so it works for us.
    Lots of stuff for kids to do, down side is that after they graduate the odds are they have to leave Hope for meaningful work.

I moved to Salmon Arm about 6 months ago for a lot of the same reasons, though I work here locally. This is a great place to raise kids, we have two of them and they transitioned into elementary school seamlessly. There is a good portion of family's here where the dad works out of town as there isn't a lot of good paying jobs in town although there are some depending on your skillset. I paid just over 500k for my house and I got a third of acre with beautiful view of the lake, you can get into a nice home in a good neighborhood for under 500k easy. I did commute back to the lower mainland for about 2 months before we moved and in the winter time you can get into some really crappy conditions. Like I said though there is a lot of people that do it and most of them are driving to Alberta which would be worse. Good luck with wherever you land.

What about good ol Merritt?

Close enough to boot home In 2.5 hours

You can buy a brand new house in Logan lake for under 500. Most expensive listing is 519,000 2nd most expensive 429,900 and it drops from there. We could sell you our house for 300,000 and I will throw in the furniture and wife. lol.... https://www.realtor.ca/Map.aspx#Zoom...80899487493049
    Last edited by Edzzed; 07-22-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Haha thanks for the offer not sure if that would fly though haha.

Good idea with merritt

Pemberton has become very expensive. It's a great place to live in many respects because it's still a bit small town but Vancouver is only a short drive away. But- it's been growing like crazy over the last few years and many aspects of the growth sucks. It's become a bit of Whistler North, and most of us like me left Whistler 20+ years ago to escape that. And the LML has discovered Pemberton, so every weekend they clog up our roads and backcountry.

But, apart from several years in the oil patch, I've always been in the tourism industry, so I can't really complain too much about tourists coming and patronizing my business. Real estate prices have skyrocketed, and I suppose I feel fortunate that I bought 6 acres in Pemberton in 1993. A decade after that prices quadrupled, and it's insane now..

The best you could get in Pemberton in your price range might be an apartment and maybe a condo- maybe. it's kind of shitty as most of the kids that grow up here will never be able to afford to actually live here.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 07-23-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If your a carpenter there seems to be enough work in the okanagan....lumby/ lavington prices are pretty fair still.

Was really checking out listings in Merritt last night, really affordable pricing , big enough town with enough in it, close to schools and central to everything in any direction and the wife likes it too