Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700

Remington 700

So I just got into hunting last year, and my grandpa gave me my first rifle. It’s a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. I’ve read that their quality went downhill in 1993, and I checked the serial numbers and my rifle was made in... 1993. Anything you guys could recommend to help me improve the rifle? Is it worth it? It’s a little heavier than I would like as mountain hunting is the hunting that has interested me the most. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Remington 700

Make sure to check if the safety needs to be replaced. There are a bunch of models that have a potentially faulty safety mechanism. Model 700 is a part of that group but I don't know the years. I have a model 660 I believe and had the gun fire when I was releasing the safety so it does happen, thankfully I had my gun pointed safely. I never knew why it had happened until years later, there was a documentary about it. Don't use it any more and will get it fixed one day. They fix them for free but definitely figure if yours needs to be fixed.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

First off your pretty lucky getting your Grampa's rifle so you better look after it, as Ride Red says below go shoot it first and see how it is, obviously served your Grampa well.

If you're concerned with the trigger take it to a gunsmith and have cleaned and adjusted to 3 lbs, or replace it if you're so inclined, and since its at the gunsmiths have it bedded and thoroughly cleaned and then go shoot it.

They are a good rifle, its a great caliber and it will serve you well.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 07-20-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    So I just got into hunting last year, and my grandpa gave me my first rifle. It’s a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. I’ve read that their quality went downhill in 1993, and I checked the serial numbers and my rifle was made in... 1993. Anything you guys could recommend to help me improve the rifle? Is it worth it? It’s a little heavier than I would like as mountain hunting is the hunting that has interested me the most. Thanks!
    Put some holes in paper at the range first; you might not have anything to worry about.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Having your Grandpa's rifle is something you will never forget. My Gramps gave me his 0ld M 94 30 WCF. It was like he was with me on every hunt when I used it. I just passed it down to his Great Grandson. I agree, have it looked at by a competent gunsmith. Listen to his recommendations as to what else should be done. I like a 3-3.5 lb trigger for a hunting rifle. Where are you I'm sure someone will have a recommendation for a Gunsmith in your area. Most of all enjoy, treasure and look after Grandpa's rifle it wil mean even more to you in the years to come.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks for the responses. I live in Langley, I have heard Gary Flach is the guy to get to go over your guns. I will get on that

Get the trigger adjusted and have him bed the action/float the barrel at the same time.

700's are great rifles.

What scope?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    What scope?
    it has an old Leupold Vari x-ii on it

You need to be comfortable with what you are shooting. If you don't have confidence, you won't shoot as well so if you are sentimental and confident in your firearm, have fun and enjoy. If you won't be happy with it and it will always bother you, get what you want and can afford. The calibre is a great calibre and can knock down anything. Watched my dad drop plenty with the 30-06. Prefer the 7mm Rem Mag myself but each to their own.