Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700

Re: Remington 700

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    it has an old Leupold Vari x-ii on it
    Nice, those are really good old scopes.
    Bought my very first Leupold in the early 90's - Vari-x II 3-9x40 - and that scope has seen/done some things...a 40 km/h tumble off a quad on its fourth outting, being the most memorable.

Still holds zero and is still in service.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    You need to be comfortable with what you are shooting. If you don't have confidence, you won't shoot as well so if you are sentimental and confident in your firearm, have fun and enjoy. If you won't be happy with it and it will always bother you, get what you want and can afford. The calibre is a great calibre and can knock down anything. Watched my dad drop plenty with the 30-06. Prefer the 7mm Rem Mag myself but each to their own.
    If the guy was SHOPPING for a new rifle, this post might be appropriate.

Definitely NOT in the context of this thread, though...

Not sure of your age or shooting experience, Beau, but for an all around rifle that can reliable kill anything on this continent with the right bullet and decent shot placement, you'd be hard pressed to find a better, 'Do it All' cartridge than the '06.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    If the guy was SHOPPING for a new rifle, this post might be appropriate.

Definitely NOT in the context of this thread, though...
    To me, the OP sounded hesitant and POSSIBLY considering his options, especially regarding the weight. Maybe he could cut the barrel down or cut the butt end of the stock off rather than looking for a lighter weight gun such as a Tikka? Lol. Thanks for your input regarding my comment though. I could throw in that not everyone is sentimental and gives a crap about a gun passed down. I know that I didn't hang on to any guns based on feelings and had no sleepless nights after I sold them. Everyone is different and to some, holding on to heirlooms is special. No judgement from me. Hope the OP loves his gun and has lots of good memories. You will always remember your first gun no matter where it came from.
    Last edited by cameron0518; 07-20-2019 at 03:38 PM.

To me, the OP sounded hesitant and POSSIBLY considering his options, especially regarding the weight. Maybe he could cut the barrel down or cut the butt end of the stock off rather than looking for a lighter weight gun such as a Tikka? Lol. Thanks for your input regarding my comment though. I could throw in that not everyone is sentimental and gives a crap about a gun passed down. I know that I didn't hang on to any guns based on feelings and had no sleepless nights after I sold them. Everyone is different and to some, holding on to heirlooms is special. No judgement from me. Hope the OP loves his gun and has lots of good memories. You will always remember your first gun no matter where it came from.
    Then I feel sorry for you because with all my family mentors now gone the guns that were passed down to me mean so much now they are all gone. I would say you are in a small minority and That makes me sad for you.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Then I feel sorry for you because with all my family mentors now gone the guns that were passed down to me mean so much now they are all gone. I would say you are in a small minority and That makes me sad for you.
    Let's not hijack this good guy's thread. PM sent to Foxton

That’s a great gun to have. If you get into hunting more you can always add a light weight rig to the stable. I’d hang onto that sucker, what’s the worst that could happen? There’s no law saying you can’t mountain hunt with a wood rifle.

I have the same gun in 25 06 ....as it is a lighter caliber , I used it on yotes and deer , absolute tack driver . Mine is about 10 years older with a 4-12 Bushnell and I haven't adjusted it since I got it in 1984 . (was used then ) only knock is that now I am older I don't like packing that almost 12 lbs . I recommend a a nice strap , wide and padded ?

Thanks, all. I’m definitely going to keep it. When I said “is it worth it” I meant customizing the rifle. I should have been more clear. Thanks for the help, I’m going to contact a gunsmith to give it a good once over.

Let's not hijack this good guy's thread. PM sent to Foxton

Pity Party
    Thanks for trying to hijack that guy's thread and to attack me. I really don't need your pity but thanks anyways. I am entitled to my opinion and it will be shared. Rest assured, I sold my family's guns and couldn't sleep better. Next time, keep your pity for someone that gives a crap about your opinions. I got no use for computer warriors. Keep it civil and respectful. Thanks

Seriously? You must be having a bad day or something. #1I did not hijack anything I merely replied to a post you made expressing my(and Id bet at least 80% of other owners) who have had a special firerm passed down to them by friends or family. #2, there was nothing disrespectful in my post, I truly do feel sorry for anyone who does not understand and appreciate what it is like to be entrusted with an item any item that was once held dear by another. Things are passed down out of love and respect and to poo poo that trust is IMO disrespectful to the OP and the great gift he was trusted to keep in the family. Not once did I degrade or disrespect you for your feelings (or the lack there of) I only stated how sad it made me that people put monetary value higher than the trust given to someone when beloved items are passed down to them. Do you get the reason behind PM now Beau?

Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 07-20-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.