Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packing for solo hunt

Re: Packing for solo hunt

For truck camping, I use whatever works as advertised for the best price.

The shelter is a 'First-Up' that was carried by Walmart. I believe the current ones are Ozark?
    Buy a tube or two of Shoe Goo and hit the main seams to eliminate any potential drips from stitch holes and you're off to the races. At night I like lower the canopy, via the adjustable legs, in case of wind, but tying it down works too.

The stove is a Brinkman, a $20 Walmart clearance item about 12 years ago. Nothing wrong with getting a Coleman, just realize that Coleman ain't the company they were in the 70 and 80's, many traditional brands aren't. A propane burner is a pretty simple device, so I'd not fret brand too much. Try it out at home to confirm it works properly, then take it to hunting camp.

On a budget a $40 to $60, 3 man dome tent from Wally World can be a decent bedroom for truck camping. Or you could simply sleep in the 10x10, depending how you feel about bears and sleeping in your kitchen. LOL.

Mice are generally a concern everywhere, so I keep unused food and other important stuff in bins or coolers overnight and like my food in my truck when I'm away from camp.

Preferences vary, so you'll fine tune your own system.

I use a kodiak canvas tent that I put a stove jack in. Great for 1to 2 people. Being warm and dry at the end of the day makes a hunting trip. Built a small wood stove can cook my meals and boil the coffee on it. Works great for me and set up doesn't take long.
    It aint easy being green