Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing for solo hunt

Packing for solo hunt

Howdy, looking for suggestions or advice In brands of camping gear you use. I'll be using a tent when I go on my 2 day hunts. I like the look of the Coleman single burner camp stove. Any other brands or burners you might suggest? What brand of gear do you use for dishes and cooking pans and pots.
    I have all the camping gear for when I go with the family but dont really feel like packing up that bulky gear.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Packing for solo hunt

If you are back packing, MSR Whisperlite stoves are great. I carried mine on many a mountaineering trip in the past. I’d just go to the MEC website and look at their backpacking gear. That should give you a good idea of what is out there for light weight gear. Some here will surely bash the Coop for possible anti hunting ideology, but I’ve been a member since about 30 years before I became an active hunter. If nothing else, you can figure out brands etc and then buy at a more hunter friendly outlet.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Are you actually backpacking or just hunting alone from the truck or atv? It makes a difference. Most guys have something simple like a jetboil, or msr that packs up small and they eat mountain house or some other freeze dried food out of a bag you boil water and pour in. If this is the intention, a jetboil may be all the stove and dishes you need, (and some kind of utensil of course). If you are going light weight, all your gear will be more costly, but it is usually built well. good luck.

If I am just going for a night or two, I just bring my backpacking camp, supplemented with a bit bigger air mattress and camp chair. For stoves I have an MSR pocket rocket. Used it for 6 seasons now. Simple, compact, reliable, and inexpensive. As for cookwear, I use a 750mL titanium pot " that the stove and a med can of fuel fit nicely in. As for meals I either cook over a fire or use dehydrated meals. Dishes, I use paper plates/paper bowls in basecamp and burn when used. My tent is a North Face Rock 22. Not high end by any means, but if its not buggy I ditch the main tent and just use the fly and footprint. Pretty light and accompanied me on more hunts than I can count from simple overnighters to 2 week griz and goat backpack hunt

Make sure you have a dry place to sleep and a warm enough sleeping bag and you are good. You dont need to go crazy with camp gear if you are not intending on carrying it with you on a backpack hunt. Any simple tent, tarp, stove and cookware will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    If you are back packing, MSR Whisperlite stoves are great. I carried mine on many a mountaineering trip in the past. I’d just go to the MEC website and look at their backpacking gear. That should give you a good idea of what is out there for light weight gear. Some here will surely bash the Coop for possible anti hunting ideology, but I’ve been a member since about 30 years before I became an active hunter. If nothing else, you can figure out brands etc and then buy at a more hunter friendly outlet.
    Ilk be camping in an actual campground and solo. I wont be doing any backpacking and and bivy hunting..well not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Are you actually backpacking or just hunting alone from the truck or atv? It makes a difference. Most guys have something simple like a jetboil, or msr that packs up small and they eat mountain house or some other freeze dried food out of a bag you boil water and pour in. If this is the intention, a jetboil may be all the stove and dishes you need, (and some kind of utensil of course). If you are going light weight, all your gear will be more costly, but it is usually built well. good luck.
    I'll be driving to the area I hunt and setting up camp. From there I'll drive to the different areas I hunt and do day hunts and return to my base camp.
    So I'm looking for recommendations on camp gear for one person.
    I have a good idea what I need just not sure what brands are better than others.
    Maybe at one point I'll be able to bivy hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    If I am just going for a night or two, I just bring my backpacking camp, supplemented with a bit bigger air mattress and camp chair. For stoves I have an MSR pocket rocket. Used it for 6 seasons now. Simple, compact, reliable, and inexpensive. As for cookwear, I use a 750mL titanium pot " that the stove and a med can of fuel fit nicely in. As for meals I either cook over a fire or use dehydrated meals. Dishes, I use paper plates/paper bowls in basecamp and burn when used. My tent is a North Face Rock 22. Not high end by any means, but if its not buggy I ditch the main tent and just use the fly and footprint. Pretty light and accompanied me on more hunts than I can count from simple overnighters to 2 week griz and goat backpack hunt

Make sure you have a dry place to sleep and a warm enough sleeping bag and you are good. You dont need to go crazy with camp gear if you are not intending on carrying it with you on a backpack hunt. Any simple tent, tarp, stove and cookware will suffice.
    Morning Ron, I appreciate your input always welcomed by a experienced hunter as yourself.
    I bought a good tent yesterday but it's too big for one person it's great for the family trips. It's a 8 man tent. I'll use it if I need to but prefer a smaller tent for myself of course.
    I'll be staying at my basecamp album not seasoned enough to be backpacking and sending up camp in the woods.
    Sleeping bag is good.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll surely look in to the suggestions you gave me.
    Thank you and have a great weekend.

For truck camping and ease of set up, get one of those first up 10x10 shelters from Walmart, then buy the wall kit for same. About $140 +/-. The canopy stays attached, once you set it up the first time, so the next time is even easier.

I use a little 2 Burner camp stove with a Rock griddle that covers both burners. I use a tree and hose, so you can run a 10 or 20 pound tank with a lantern on top.

Dollarama is your friend for cheap/light truck camping supplies. Plates, cups, cutlery, utensils, etc. A melamine plate makes a great support for a paper plate, which saves dishes.
    Salvation Army always has cheep pots or kettles or whatever to round out your kit.
    Rubbermaid style totes that make a good seal and preferably with latches to secure the lids for travel.

Basically, make a list of what you think you need for all aspects(sleeping, cooking, hygiene), then start doing trips and add/subtract, depending on personal preference and needs.

You can prolly zoom in and glean a few ideas from my pics, though that was an Alaska highway 10 day road trip, not an actual hunting trip.
    Last edited by RiverOtter; 07-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    For truck camping and ease of set up, get one of those first up 10x10 shelters from Walmart, then buy the wall kit for same. About $140 +/-. The canopy stays attached, once you set it up the first time, so the next time is even easier.

I use a little 2 Burner camp stove with a Rock griddle that covers both burners. I use a tree and hose, so you can run a 10 or 20 pound tank with a lantern on top.

Very cool set up. I like the tent and the two burner stove.
    Any particular brands better than others?. Kind of a loaded question as everyone has their preferences.
    As of right now I'm leaning towards Colmon