Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tatuk or Finger lakes resort for moose hunting

Tatuk or Finger lakes resort for moose hunting

Hi everyone,

first time LEH moose draw for 7-12B. It's only my second year hunting and I am not familiar with the area. I am considering staying at one of these two places for our group hunt, as we don't have a trailer.

would anyone recommend one place over the other? I guess the main consideration would be proximity to prime moose habitat in the MU. I am definitely looking to try and get away from the crowds as well.

are there any other lodges or resorts between PG and Vanderhoof worth considering?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tatuk or Finger lakes resort for moose hunting

If finger lake is still operation I would chose that one. Its rustic or it was. You might want to check vacancy.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Both those lakes are a ways from your MU. You will just need to ensure your in your MU before you hammer a bull. The Backroads map book is a good tool, it has overlapping MU boundaries for the different zones, and will let you know when you are close. So does hunt buddy, and a few other apps for your phone. I'd look at what a place to rent would cost, Vs buying a wall tent, and if it's close, I'd opt for getting a wall tent, and setting up in Prime moose country. Canfor uses the road you will be driving to get into 7-12B from Tatuk/Finger, so have a truck radio with the RR road channels on it, so you know when to get out of the way. I hunt 7-12b every year, it has been a challenge, but the moose are in there. PM me if you wish, I can shed a bit of light on it.

Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Both of those Resorts are located in MU 7-11 and would require some driving to your 712-B zone. I would recommend camping inside of your LEH zone and hunt focusing on areas with large amounts and tracts of deciduous forests and water. Last week of September and or first week of October.

Quote Originally Posted by zurevins View Post
    Both of those Resorts are located in MU 7-11 and would require some driving to your 712-B zone. I would recommend camping inside of your LEH zone and hunt focusing on areas with large amounts and tracts of deciduous forests and water. Last week of September and or first week of October.
    my experience as well...they seem to abandon the high country and hang out in the mature poplar groves and near the lakes

Thanks everyone. Wall tent is a great idea! I think my neighbor has one that may be available with enough booze and smoked salmon for trade. Hunt Buddy is great indeed. that MU looks like it has been logged to hell and back. Is this due to Pine beetle or just normal forestry work?

I never even thought about monitoring the radio for logging trucks. thank you.

older threads on this MU seem to indicate that it was pretty good moose hunting not too long ago. lots of LEH draws for this area too, so I thought the Moose population would be denser. any thoughts on why the hunting has declined?

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Wall tent is a great idea! I think my neighbor has one that may be available with enough booze and smoked salmon for trade. Hunt Buddy is great indeed. that MU looks like it has been logged to hell and back. Is this due to Pine beetle or just normal forestry work?

I never even thought about monitoring the radio for logging trucks. thank you.

older threads on this MU seem to indicate that it was pretty good moose hunting not too long ago. lots of LEH draws for this area too, so I thought the Moose population would be denser. any thoughts on why the hunting has declined?
    herbicde use, forest fires, mtn pine beetle, predators, un regulated moose harvests, all contributed to moose decline.
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

knew a forester up there....they selective logged for beetle but then some backroom deals let them go back in and take out everything-even areas already selectively logged...too much open country led to a lot higher moose hunter success rate...have not been back up there for at least 10 years so I am sure things have changed a bit since then.

I was going to recommend finger lake lodge. I've good things about it. Sounds like you'll be camping after all hope you manage to get a wall tent.
    Best of luck on your hunt.
    Let us all know how it goes.

7-12B.... is that Frank Lake area?