Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement towns

Re: Retirement towns

Anything Shuswap/North Okanagan is pretty awesome....
    If anybody need a hand let me know, local realtor

Salmon Arm - No. 1 place in B.C.-6th in Canada
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5747527/s...n-cities-list/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

We lived in in 9 different towns in BC and settled on Cranbrook as our retirement locale. Moved here in 2004, from Kamloops and have never regretted the move . An hour from Alberta, 45 minutes to USA, regional hospital. Probably the best variety of Big game hunting in the province. Doesn't have the brutal weather or bugs, of the North. Housing is affordable. If your an outdoor enthusiast the East Kootenay's have it all.

I moved to Quesnel a year ago and love it. Bought a rural property. It's affordable, people are nice and there's a hospital. Quesnel has everything you need, plus PG is only an hour away. My folks moved here too. My Mom recently had a hip replacement in PG. - the surgery wait time was a lot less than in the lower mainland where she was before.

Very interesting thread and a lot of great information here. I don't know which town or towns would be best to retire in, but I will mention some of the trends that are coming which one may wish to consider. I know I will get some hate mail on this, but, I don't really care.....So here goes.....

1). I believe we are in Global Cooling and not Global Warming. We have had 3 successively colder/longer winters in North America and Europe. If this next winter is colder or longer, then that will be a confirmation of the trend and we can expect much colder and longer winters in the years ahead.

2). The civil unrest cycle is picking up, so moving forward it may be unsafe to live in any of the cities or towns where there are a lot of SJW's.

3). Food is going to become much more expensive for 2 reasons...because of the shortened growing seasons and eventually (2024) because of the decline in value of currencies as people lose trust in Governments.

4). Commodity prices (which include oil and gas) will have an interim peak in 2024, so expect much, much higher fuel costs going forward.

5). Broke Governments will start to go hard after your money and your assets and real estate is a sitting duck as you can't pick it up and move it....

6). The Canadian $ will move sharply lower vs. the U.S. $ over the next 5 years. That means food, gas, and everything priced in U.S. $'s will be much, much more expensive.

7.) We will move from deflation (currently) into a period of stagflation which means much higher costs for everything, with a slower economy...but this will not be a demand type of inflation, it will be a cost-push inflation.....the cost/push comes in because of higher commodity prices and higher taxes.....

These are the big trends that will take place over the coming years, so I just wanted to give people a heads up and something to think about as you make your life decisions. These trends are going to affect everybody and the people who feel that life has wronged them will petition Governments to do something for them, but Governments won't be able to help as they are broke. This is going to make for a lot of angry people and Governments have actively pointed at "the rich" who in their view don't give enough in taxes, as the primary problem for their ineptitude. This WILL give rise to civil unrest and may make richer people vulnerable.....I am making decisions now in my life based on these trends, as I want to protect myself and my kids. You can call me crazy, and you may disagree with me....but, just look at what's happening now, people are uneasy. There is a lot of anger out there. I see it everyday in drivers and just in people's attitudes. Everyone knows that something is wrong, but most can't put their finger on what it is. Governments will exploit this and further divide the people. I would urge everyone to seriously consider their financial choices in light of these trends. I hope this post helps at least one person.......If it did, them please pm me.... blessings to everyone....
    Last edited by Ruffed; 08-11-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    I don't usually talk to Trudeau supporters, but when I do, I usually order fries.

"Society is degenerating at a rapid pace. Humans are being socially engineered at a global level. Everything is about identity politics and feelings. Critical thinking is rare." caddisguy

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffed View Post
    Very interesting thread and a lot of great information here. I don't know which town or towns would be best to retire in, but I will mention some of the trends that are coming which one may wish to consider. I know I will get some hate mail on this, but, I don't really care.....So here goes.....

1). I believe we are in Global Cooling and not Global Warming. We have had 3 successively colder/longer winters in North America and Europe. If this next winter is colder or longer, then that will be a confirmation of the trend and we can expect much colder and longer winters in the years ahead.

2). The civil unrest cycle is picking up, so moving forward it may be unsafe to live in any of the cities or towns where there are a lot of SJW's.

3). Food is going to become much more expensive for 2 reasons...because of the shortened growing seasons and eventually (2024) because of the decline in value of currencies as people lose trust in Governments.

4). Commodity prices (which include oil and gas) will have an interim peak in 2024, so expect much, much higher fuel costs going forward.

5). Broke Governments will start to go hard after your money and your assets and real estate is a sitting duck as you can't pick it up and move it....

6). The Canadian $ will move sharply lower vs. the U.S. $ over the next 5 years. That means food, gas, and everything priced in U.S. $'s will be much, much more expensive.

7.) We will move from deflation (currently) into a period of stagflation which means much higher costs for everything...but this will not be a demand type of inflation, it will be a cost-push inflation.....

These are the big trends that will take place over the coming years, so I just wanted to give people a heads up and something to think about as you make your life decisions. These trends are going to affect everybody and the people who feel that life has wronged them will be petition Governments to do something for them, but Governments won't be able to help as they are broke. This is going to make for a lot of angry people and Governments have actively pointed at "the rich" who in their view don't give enough in taxes, as the primary problem for their ineptitude. This WILL give rise to civil unrest and may make richer people vulnerable.....I am making decisions now in my life based on these trends, as I want to protect myself and my kids. You can call me crazy, and you may disagree with me....but, just look at what's happening now, people are uneasy. There is a lot of anger out there. I see it everyday in drivers and just in people's attitudes. Everyone knows that something is wrong, but most can't put their finger on what it is. Governments will exploit this and further divide the people. I would urge everyone to seriously consider their financial choices in light of these trends. I hope this post helps at least one person.......If it did, them please pm me.... blessings to everyone....
    Why do I have the uneasy feeling you could be right ?

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quite a Revelation....could be a pun there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffed View Post

7.) We will move from deflation (currently) into a period of stagflation which means much higher costs for everything, with a slower economy...but this will not be a demand type of inflation, it will be a cost-push inflation.....the cost/push comes in because of higher commodity prices and higher taxes.....

These are the big trends that will take place over the coming years, so I just wanted to give people a heads up and something to think about as you make your life decisions. These trends are going to affect everybody and the people who feel that life has wronged them will petition Governments to do something for them, but Governments won't be able to help as they are broke. This is going to make for a lot of angry people and Governments have actively pointed at "the rich" who in their view don't give enough in taxes, as the primary problem for their ineptitude. This WILL give rise to civil unrest and may make richer people vulnerable.....I am making decisions now in my life based on these trends, as I want to protect myself and my kids. You can call me crazy, and you may disagree with me....but, just look at what's happening now, people are uneasy. There is a lot of anger out there. I see it everyday in drivers and just in people's attitudes. Everyone knows that something is wrong, but most can't put their finger on what it is. Governments will exploit this and further divide the people. I would urge everyone to seriously consider their financial choices in light of these trends. I hope this post helps at least one person.......If it did, them please pm me.... blessings to everyone....
    I believe you are right on the money, money that will be in short supply for a large part of the population and it will eventually spill out in the open.
    Hopefully by that time I will be well established in my place of retirement and have some reserves in cash, food and ammo.
    Self sufficiency (as much as possible), will be the most important qualities one can have, but you can never be 100% self sufficient.
    Trade and barter, knowing a few people you can trust will make all the difference.
    Of course the government will anticipate all this, hence #5 on your list is something that will be a problem.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    222 Corfield about to open
    Hasn't that been a disaster? Tent cities keep forming, but now there's a hobo condo serving as a base of theft operations. Cars and sheds broken into nightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Never settele,down,before seeing,BLIND BAY..F...g