Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement towns

Re: Retirement towns

We bought our first home in the Cloverdale area in 1977, was an 1 1/4 acres and it came with the mineral rights. When we sold in 1989 we had the option of retaining the rights or letting them go with the property.
    Last edited by huntinnewbie; 07-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Smithers would be my choice. Plane to Vancouver every day, beautiful town and surrounding area and some very good Doctors who practise in Smithers for the lifestyle.

We are starting to think about this as well some very good points that are #1 on my list is health care Kamloops and Kelowna both have trauma quality hospitals my original idea was kamloops but armstrong and enderby are worth considering too nice weather close to some major centers! If i wasn't worried about staying close to my girls I'd be in Fernie what a beauty of a spot!!

I'm retiring next May.,can't effing wait. Born and raised on the North shore, don't think I mention what a sh*#t show it is here. Anyway been looking around the province and Alberta. Wouldn't mind being a bit north, I like what I see up in Quesnel and also Fort Assinibione Albert. Keep this thread going because I'm very interested in people's opinions are on different areas of the province.

Curt brought up an interesting climate belief when he said, "my original idea was kamloops but armstrong and enderby are worth considering too nice weather ". Just because a location is north of another location does not mean that it's going to be milder to the south of harsher to the north. Having lived in the Okanagan/Thompson Valleys, I can attest to the fact that Kamloops weather is quite like the weather in Penticton whereas Kelowna weather or I should say climate is not like the former two. There are three zones in the Okanagan. From around Summerland south is a very dry climate with Osoyoos and Oliver being much drier. Summerland north to the Rutland area a little more winter than that to the south while Lake Country north to Salmon Arm a little more winter than the other two. Winters a little more winter, summers a little cooler than the further south or the South Thompson region. Kamloops, Cache Creek and Ashcroft are more atypical of the south Okanagan. One thing I remember about growing up in Penticton. You could wake up to 4-5 inches of snow in the morning (after Christmas as it rarely snowed for Christmas day), have slush on the ground at noon and water running down the curb/gutter at 4 in the afternoon.
    You will find that moving away from your hunting partners and establishing new ones in nigh on impossible. Perhaps you were a solitary hunter. That too will change because as we age, the missus is fearful about our well being out alone in the bush. She will insist that you hunt with someone (not her) or stay home and be safe. And in some aspect, she is right. Solitary handling of the carcass of a deer becomes much harder to do with age, never mind a moose or elk.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Granisle on Babine Lake is a nice area. About an hour from Smithers, Houston or Burns Lake. Very cheap properties, probably the lowest prices in BC. Limited services though.

Check out the Kootenay's, left Kelowna 3 years and have not looked back, good fishing, good hunting, and friendly people. Lots to do, quadding, sledding. Prices are still relatively cheap, and jobs are available.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG-man View Post
    No US destinations ?
    parents went to mexico every winter for more than 30 years increasing from 6 weeks to 6 months as they hit full retirement...they have been going to Arizona now for the last 5 or 6 years instead but now with their age and health they are looking for something in Canada

You could come up to Stewart, we measure snowfall in feet!

How about 100 mile house? Small town lots of crown land for hunting.