Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement towns

Re: Retirement towns

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Wonderer View Post
    My votes in for Chase, BC, moving to the Area this fall!!!
    Shush...........!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

One of the things to consider in bc is....what are the land claims in the area? Since its all done on the "down low" you need to peel a few layers off and have a look as you may be "paying tax to an indian band and living under their rules".

Or you could simply be purchasing property that could be expropriated and given back to the band, leaving you with your retirement plans....a mess.

Look at the BC treaty commision site as the treaties that are on the books are there now but the rest of the treaties are a complete unknown....just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    East of Vernon ain't bad either, but we're capped out on old fogies.
    You talking about me river otter.lol Steve!

Logan Lake is a nice area too. They only have a gas station, store and couple shops, but Kamloops is 30mins away on a great highway. We looked at a few properties up there last fall and they had new houses on view lots for $379k and older clean homes on lots starting low $200k. Atving, fishing/hunting, practically out your door, plus a range for rifle/trap minutes from town. The lml is really starting to suck balls and I’m on my hunt for an exit too.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    One of the things to consider in bc is....what are the land claims in the area? Since its all done on the "down low" you need to peel a few layers off and have a look as you may be "paying tax to an indian band and living under their rules".

Or you could simply be purchasing property that could be expropriated and given back to the band, leaving you with your retirement plans....a mess.

Look at the BC treaty commision site as the treaties that are on the books are there now but the rest of the treaties are a complete unknown....just sayin.....
    This is sound advice. I found a fantastic property near Greenwood, but when I dug deeper (pun intended) I found that the mineral rights to the land belonged to someone else. Not likely that they were going to start a new mine on that 20 acres, but the could if they wanted to.

We have been searching for “the” spot for a long time. Somewhere within a 1-2 hour drive to Kelowna or Kamloops would be the best. At some point you WILL need a bigger hospital or bigger town amenities. The Kootenays are beautiful, but better left as a vacation spot in my opinion. In the end, it all comes down to how self sufficient you can be. I have Mennonite blood, so I can whittle a truck out of a stump, but I still need some access to good groceries etc. I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the truck driving long distances to buy necessities.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

No one mentioned Prince George. A regional center for goods , services and health care.

Small town vibe and you are an hour from Vancouver, if health issues require a trip there ( I fly down in the morning, do the appointment, and fly back and am home by 4 in the afternoon).

Housing prices are reasonable , compared to the lower mainland. You will be able to sell your house by one here (same type of place) and have lots of cash left over.

Hunting and fishing 30 minutes from town, two rifle ranges, one out to 1500 yards.

No line ups, traffic jams or other BS found in populated areas.

If long winters are a problem, the money you save will put you in a southern climate for most or all of the winter.

I quite like being retired in Prince George.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Another major thing that one has to consider is what land in British Columbia this government will simply hand over to first nations so they can play government.
    Looks like Cariboo/Chilcotin is a pretty risky to buy property in.
    One could find themselves in a sticky situation.
    Some first nations are friendlier than others.
    I don't know what happened to people who had property that was given to the Tsilcotin band.
    It would be good to have some information about what's going on with this in this province.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Or dont buy anything ,,,even near any native area....that being said by experience,NOT rasist....loots of good indies..my friend lived in chase,, not nice time there on weekends..

Maybe best is rent a place first..then decide..stay or not?

Hmmm 110 % of BC is claimed by indians..overlap of claims.
    Williams lake is surrounded by rez...
    Its going to get messy...
    Srupp
    East of wl...Horsefly..likely..big lake..nice no land claims..

NEVER west of Fraser river..EVER

Here is an interesting excerpt from the BC Treaty Commission regarding who is First Nation.
    "First Nations ancestry, connected to the Nation or accepted as a citizen of the particular nation"
    This is an interesting tidbit.
    This means that even non-first nations people can become citizens of the first "Nation".

Treaties will replace Indian Act-imposed band governments with a government authority for all citizens of a Nation. Each treaty will define who is eligible and who can be enrolled.
    Most First Nations will have broader eligibility criteria than current status and non-status designations under the Indian Act. Eligibility criteria will likely require that an individual be of First Nation ancestry connected to the Nation or accepted as a citizen of the particular nation. All citizens of a First Nation can vote on a treaty.

Self-government strives to provide better opportunities for Indigenous people living within their traditional territory, while not excluding those Indigenous people who choose to live elsewhere.

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach