Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement towns

Re: Retirement towns

I would look closely at Kimberly. Close to Cranbrook hospital and big box stores when you need/want them, local skiing, golf, hunting etc. Small acreages around that are still affordable as long as you don't have to be on a river/lake. Check out Landquest for some listings that aren't also on MLS.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I think generations are shaped by their environment and resources more than anything else.
    In 1800, North America was still largely unexplored and was perceived to have unlimited resources.
    The generation that explored it, mapped it, produced a generation that started to benefit from it's resources.
    Than that generation produced another generation that kept exploting it and building wealth.
    1, 2 more generations and you have baby boomers. They were born into less wealth but higher potential after the war.
    And after the war economy was growing rapidly for 20-30 years and boomers built wealth.
    When you become wealthy you become less smart in many ways, except in making more money.
    You can't cook anymore, fix your car, fix your plumbing, build your house, grow your food.
    And you can't raise your children.
    You don't know anymore that you don't have to go to a hospital for a cut.
    The excuse is always "it's cheaper to pay someone else to do it".
    Baby boomers did lots of things right, except raise the next generation properly.
    Someone else did that.
    Now it's become popular again to cook your own food, fix your car, grow your tomatoes etc.
    Cycle repeats.
    The only issue now is that the population has tripled since baby boomers were born.
    All of our problems around the world come down to one simple thing.
    Over population.
    If we don't fix that, we're done.
    But we humans are a lot more animal and a lot less smart than we like to think.
    We behave much like rats, we overcrowd a place and then shit in our own soup.
    Then we die off in pursuit of convenience.

Cogent piece and I agree with the key tennant that overpopulation is the biggest problem humans and the planet face. With 7 billion of us our first world life style is simply not possible for the masses. We need a massive die off of about 4 billion people over the next 100 years if we are to survive. (just making up numbers wtihout science or mathematical projections but it make sense to me) Any volunteers?? I'd like to make some recommendations! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Cogent piece and I agree with the key tennant that overpopulation is the biggest problem humans and the planet face. With 7 billion of us our first world life style is simply not possible for the masses. We need a massive die off of about 4 billion people over the next 100 years if we are to survive. (just making up numbers wtihout science or mathematical projections but it make sense to me) Any volunteers?? I'd like to make some recommendations! LOL

Nobody needs to die prematurely and we don't need infinity stones to solve the problem.
    Just brains and agreement.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Surrey. Your stuff will slowly get ripped off making the estate easier to manage for your kids......
    Better add Nelson/Trail/Castlegar/Grand Forks/Christina Lake/Rock Creek to that list. These communities (many of which i have lived in and currently reside) town councils are full of SJW's and a welcome one and all addiction ridden/homeless/street criminals or any mix of the aforementioned 3 with open arms.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Exactly, we are not asking for any handouts and most of us raised a family and were solid contributors to society.
    I know the goverment would like to work us to death, so they wouldn't have to pay us back.
    So stop increasing government, so it won't have the power to work you to death. At least turn on foreigners rather than your own country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Better add Nelson/Trail/Castlegar/Grand Forks/Christina Lake/Rock Creek to that list. These communities town councils are full of SJW's.
    Born in Trail General, lived in Warfield as a young kid and later up the hill in Rossland. Ties to Rock Crack.

I gotta ask... what is a “SJW”?

I’m currently looking for an affordable acreage and have concluded that they don’t exist (at least one that meets my simple criteria) within the boundaries of the Turds new mortgage laws. If he hadn’t helped out those that live in Vancouver and Toronto whilst simultaneously ****ing every rural living Canadian in the ass, I’d be able to spend double what I can now.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Well, seeing as how we fundamentally disagree on most worldviews and philosophies, and that we routinely draw opposite conclusions from the same lesson, I wouldn't know where to start. You're ever the optimist.
    Iron Glove is an optimist for sure. But its easy to be an optimist when you do small things here and there to make society or community better. Little things like clearing the neighbour's driveway. Waving at the old fart when you see that he made a mistake and didn't see you when he cut you off in the parking lot instead of giving them the finger and ruining his day you get a thank you back. Volunteering in the community once in a while, cleaning up a mess in the bush that you came on, little things like this. Pessimism comes from a feeling of helplessness, seeing things that aren't right in your view and going as far as bitching about them but no further. Its harder to become pessimistic when you do a few things here and there that help solve problems. In fact by nature you become a little more optimistic.

This has nothing to do with generation. There are optimistic boomers and pessimistic boomers. Those that care about their community and those that care about themselves. Its the same with any generation. Unfortunately caring about others caring about community, caring about anything except one's self is on the decrease these days through all generations. Social media and particularly compartmentalization mainly by political views created by social media has bread selfish self absorbed people ever on the hunt for things that they see as wrong so they can post it to the choir, rant and rave, but never consider to actually do something constructive about it. And never accept that their world view is not and never will be the views of a lot of other people, and that their views will be of the minority at times and won't get their way. This is what a large portion of our society be they bommers to gen z in the last 20 years have come to and how they live, in pessimism.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Social Justice Warrior. A person who crusades for politically correct causes in order to receive a plenary indulgence for individual failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Social Justice Warrior. A person who crusades for politically correct causes in order to receive a plenary indulgence for individual failure.
    For the most part they're just another example of a selfish self absorbed person. They do community work all right, but only to promote their views that must not be compromised. Considering others views is not on if it doesn't fall into the confines of their narrow world views.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

aka slowflakes or "woke"...I like woke-flakes as a term for them