Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Canada, Fishing is very different!!

New to Canada, Fishing is very different!!

Hi guys,

So as the title suggests, I'm new to BC. I love fishing (fly mostly) and have been fishing most of my life but I am struggling to get to grips with fishing here in BC.
    I have been out quite a few times with no luck.. at all.... Now don't get me wrong I have loved every time I have been out, its hard not to with how stunning this place is.
    But the lack of fish has started to wear me down. I have tried all of the techniques I used to use it the UK but with no luck: Stripping lures, French/Czech nymphing, chironomid under a bung, sinking line stripping boobies.
    I have tried fishing different lakes and river in the lower mainland area. I am willing to travel but would also like to be able to fish closer to home (Port Coquitlam area).

Does anyone have any tips or pointers on what I could try?
    Any resources, books, videos, youtube channels etc would but greatly appreciated.
    Should I ditch the fly gear and buy something else? If so what??

Thank you all in advance.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to Canada, Fishing is very different!!

I am an absolute hack of a fly-fisherman and I do pretty OK throwing nothing but a Wooly Bugger into whatever creek, river or lake I'm sitting on. Much better than I did over spinning gear. I'm never a fish-per-cast guy but I rarely fish without any action at all.

I'm guessing your problem is where you are fishing. Are you seeing fish rise? I think there is a pretty active forum for fishing in BC, you might want to sanity check your destinations with people that fish a lot more than me.

Welcome to BC, by the way.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

What waters have you fished for starters? Shore fishing or boat?

Most lower mainland fishing is meh but there is some good fishing hidden in the mix.

Fly fishing is not the problem it can be very effective. Timing, location, and applying the wrong tactics/flies to the species/location is likely your problem

Thank you for getting back to me Albravo2 & Wild One,

All of the fishing has been from either shore or in waders. Unfortunately I dont have a watercraft yet.
    I have mainly tried, Sasamatt lake, Lafarge lake, Coquitlam River and De Slough. I have investigated a few other spots as well and I haven't really seen many fish at all.
    Im not after huge fish or even huge numbers. I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me exactly where to go, but any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

All of those places are pretty fished out if you ask me. Too many people. You have to get out of town.

I don't do much fly fishing; mostly with spinning and baitcasting setups from shore. There should be lots of pikeminnow around right now. Sunfish should be pretty easy to catch at Lafarge Lake and DeBoville Slough. You can check my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g. I've done a few videos on Deer Lake in Burnaby. Lots of bass and sunfish that you should be able to hook into with a fly. I know carp fishing is pretty big in the UK. I haven't caught any carp at Deer Lake, but I've seen carp pushing 20lbs in there. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I recently came back from the Island and had an awesome
    week of fishing in the Port Alberni area.

Taylor River was just phenomenal except for having to sacrifice my new
    phone to the river gods when I tripped......
    The Kootenays (Bull, Elk River) have become my favorite places to go.

Welcome to Beautiful BC

I like French nymphing.
    Especially with redheads.

There are plenty of resources on fly fishing.
    #1. Find a local Fly Shop. Michael & Young in Surrey is pretty good.

Find videos from Mark Pendlington of Sport Fishing BC, and Don Freschi with Sport Fishing on the Fly.
    They have an huge wealth of information in their videos regarding fly fishing and they are good presenters to the audience.
    Salt, rivers, lakes, Kamloops lakes etc.
    Some guys are fun to watch but hard to learn from, but these guys do it all well IMO.
    Don Freschi also shows fly tying in every video.
    And there are plenty of books on fly fishing in BC too.

http://westcoastresorts.com/connect/...ow-on-youtube/

Ultimately, I ditched my fly gear and use exclusively bait/gear.
    Fly fishing was limiting to me and I could be much more effective with gear.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 07-18-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by bottles View Post
    I don't do much fly fishing; mostly with spinning and baitcasting setups from shore. There should be lots of pikeminnow around right now. Sunfish should be pretty easy to catch at Lafarge Lake and DeBoville Slough. You can check my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g. I've done a few videos on Deer Lake in Burnaby. Lots of bass and sunfish that you should be able to hook into with a fly. I know carp fishing is pretty big in the UK. I haven't caught any carp at Deer Lake, but I've seen carp pushing 20lbs in there. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    Thank you for the pointers. I will have to watch your videos. I didn't realise there were any bass around! I caught Large mouth in Ontario on the fly. I've never been once for UK style overnight carp fishing. But carp on the fly!!
    Ali

Arrow Re: New to Canada, Fishing is very different!!

Pose your question on BC's dedicated Fly Fishing Forum: https://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?&

Lots of great experience, and most willing to share.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me