Thread: big game hides and heads protection

big game hides and heads protection

Hmmm Susan spotted a small lawn moth? In the house yesterday..
    I went down to my " cool room" where my hides and heads are and checked very thoroughly..I think to see if everything was fine with my collection.
    No signs of damage, no signs of moths, no signs of larvae, or worms.
    Question..is there a product for spraying to protect this lifetime collection from moths or insects?
    Last fall I found cocoons in my feather drawer..in the same room..through out a lot of feathers $$$
    Some of ghe feathers were chewed on by insects...but not the bears or heads in the same room.
    I went drawer by drawer. .vacuming and tossing..nothing noted since.
    Any recomendations on moth/ insect spray or powder ?
    Thank you in advance.
    Any intell is much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Steven

2. Site Sponsor

Re: big game hides and heads protection

Moth balls, if you can stand the smell.

Loose feathers, tanned hides etc, that aren't display pieces could be stored in various size Ziploc bags. They make actual storage bags, so finding the proper size shouldn't be too difficult.

I store all my wool in Ziploc bags, as those little moths will chew holes in it otherwise.

I've never had moths until 3 years ago, i think i brought them back from someone's house on my winter coat. They ate my god da** $700 designer wool coat i was f*** livid.
    i cleaned the whole damn house top top bottom for an entire weekend and they never came back, but while looking into it the best option I found was to hang Lavander in the closets.

dried Lavander smells nice and does a decent job of keeping them away. I looked into moth balls, but that stuff smells so awful there is no way i'd keep in my closet, nor would i wear a garment that's been in a box with a mothball all winter. Yuck. Nauseating smell.

I use yellow cedar and aromatic cedar balls in my fly tying material. Works for closets too.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=cedar+for+...l_9fvs5bz4n4_b
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I've never had moths until 3 years ago, i think i brought them back from someone's house on my winter coat. They ate my god da** $700 designer wool coat i was f*** livid.
    i cleaned the whole damn house top top bottom for an entire weekend and they never came back, but while looking into it the best option I found was to hang Lavander in the closets.

dried Lavander smells nice and does a decent job of keeping them away. I looked into moth balls, but that stuff smells so awful there is no way i'd keep in my closet, nor would i wear a garment that's been in a box with a mothball all winter. Yuck. Nauseating smell.
    Kuiu coat?

Old airport gardens in lillooet , Danika has 4 longggg rows of beautiful lavender for your moth needs that she grows hope all is well Srupp

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/flyin...izer/p/5089316

automatic and programmable pesticide units vertually the same as this is what is used at Hand of Man museum

Hmmmmm I now have a 32 oz bottle of Mount Protector by Mount Medix.
    professional product designed specifically for taxidermy mounts and hides.spray on , wipe reapply every 6 months or so.....was not expensive. ..
    Im set to inspect, clean, apply Mount Protector tommorrow.I think this bottle should last 5 years using 2 applications 6 months apart..far less than finding insect damage.
    Thank you for the replies..and to Stephen Rutherford for the heads up..lol on this product .
    Cheers
    Srupp

Hmmmm followed directions. Lol a first. Product smelled nice..sprayed easily. .let soak in for couple minutes then wiped hair flat back.
    The goal was pest insect protection..however the product cleaned the hair..as evidenced by traces of dirt on the cloth.
    Grizzly hide, black bear hide, stone sheep,2x cali sheep, whitetal, black tail, pronghorn...took 1 1/2 hours..spray..wipe.finish
    Room is going to air out x5 days...just in case its a irritant.
    For others info
    Srupp