Thread: HELP! - December TURKEY- Unit 4-14

HELP! - December TURKEY- Unit 4-14

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been awarded a December (1-31st)Turkey hunt in unit 4-14. Can anyone give any advice as to where and how I would go about killing one? I have never hunted Turkey before. I have not pre scouted the area. I would imagine its shotgun only? I have a defender... is that good enough for turkey? I have some elk call reeds, can I call them in with those in December? Thanks for any and all advice. I would like to kill a large Tom.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HELP! - December TURKEY- Unit 4-14

i am assuming your joking...

Good one. ,

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been awarded a December (1-31st)Turkey hunt in unit 4-14. Can anyone give any advice as to where and how I would go about killing one? I have never hunted Turkey before. I have not pre scouted the area. I would imagine its shotgun only? I have a defender... is that good enough for turkey? I have some elk call reeds, can I call them in with those in December? Thanks for any and all advice. I would like to kill a large Tom.
    I cannot tell you where to go, you will have to go where the turkeys are. I believe its any turkey, which will work to your advantage, as calling during the winter won't really work like it does in the spring time. You can use your locator calls: owl, crow, etc. Shotgun will work but ideally you have a turkey load & choke; ensure you sight it in from 20/30/40 yards so you get a good head shot kill. Elk calls will not work lol. Scouting the area would benefit you greatly, unless you allocate time to scout while hunting. They have incredible eyesight, so you need to be full camo and they will spot any movement. You may want to listen to some podcasts related to turkey hunting on meat eater or Jay Scott Outdoors has a 7 part turkey series from March. Your post does raise a lot of concerns, hence the first couple reply's. Good luck! PS get a bow so you can also hunt any whitetail from Dec 1-20. Maximize your time in the bush

Sweet thanks bubba!