Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how far will you go

Re: how far will you go

My longest trip was from the north end of the island up to about 3 hours north of Prince George. I threw my quad in the back of my pick up and dragged my travel trailer all the way up there. I think that trip was over $5000 for a moose that I split with my brother. Probably the best hunting trip I’ve been on.

Second one was from fort Mac to fort Nelson for pretty much a weekend hunt. I got to hang out with my brother in law for a few days and shoot a big old bull about 4 hours out of Nelson.

I don’t know if I’m getting smarter, cheaper or my standards of living are getting lower, but I’m packing way less gear than I used to. I haven’t brought my travel trailer hunting in a few years and I’d rather stay in a tent under a tarp.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Depends, usually don't like going more than 20 minutes from where I live.

I've been all over BC to hunt, that's one of the best aspects of hunting for me-new territory and new adventure

I've also gone to Ontario to hunt turkey and wild boar and when I was stuck in Edmonton for a few weeks some gracious members of CGn took me out gopher shooting, which I had never done before but would love to do again.

I've hunted Vancouver Island, QCI, east and west Kootenays, Chilcotin, Central BC, Bella Coola, and much of northern BC, as well as my home turf. Get out there guys, its a big wonderful province.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Since mid 60s been hunting predominantly 3 areas on many trips
    1) Birkenhead Lake area
    2) Gang area-Empire,Big Creek, Farwell canyon triangle
    3) Germansen Landing area & up to Johansen Lake & Germansen Lake.

Also hunted just south of Dease Lake, east of Chetwynd, north of Chase & Sorrento, Fort St. James area, Nation Lakes, south & north of Vanderhoof + many others.

Future hunting trips that we have in mind are Spatsizi, Atlin & Home Ranch(Pan Phillips) area on horseback if possible.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I also don't mind traveling for a hunt. I'll go as far as a 2-3 hr drive for a day trip. 3-5 hrs for a weekend and 8-10 hrs for a week long excursion. I agree with others. It's about the experience. Hunting for me is all about that which makes it worth the travel. Shits just plain fun!

As far as I can afford, and then some.
    Last edited by butcher; 07-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.

I'm with Geoff. Life is about the Journey and the Adventure within it. I know that if I never wore this ring on my left hand that I would live in a smaller home and Hunt further and further away.

Travel to manitoba every year for the archery opener.

Usually spend a week but have done it for a weekend before.

I would like to go to Russia and Kill a BIG Grizzly BEAR ! RJ

2.5 hours away is my max for a weekend trip.

I do the occasional 4-5 hour trip if I have 4-5 days off work, but just can't drive that far for a 1 or 2 nighter.

Hats off to guys that do 4+ hours for a day trip and come home with something. There's a more than a few on here that pull it off... up at 2am, hunting by 7am, shooting a deer in the evening then home a little after midnight. Too much for me in one day... that must be like a big blur the day after... like did I actually do that or just dream it?