Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how far will you go

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: how far will you go

I'll travel 3 hrs one way many times in the season, but usually I hunt 25 minutes from the house. If we win a LEH, I'll travel as far as I have to go to get there. Its about the adventure, meat is cheapest if bought at Costco! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

As far as I have to might be 2 min or a 2 day drive

I don't mind a bit of a drive. Weeds out all the smart people so there's less pressure. Been LML to Fort Nelson 4 times, thinking Dease area this year.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

20 minutes outside my door. LIG
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

"that must be like a big blur the day after... like did I actually do that or just dream it?[/QUOTE]"

Been there, done that. No more one-day trips to me. It makes so much more sense to go up, hunt the evening and then sleep in the canopy and hunt the next day too.

I'll go two or three hours for a two or three day deer or bear trip.

For moose LEH I'll go wherever it takes me. so far it's been the Chilcotin (Gaspard Lake, Restone-Chezacut, Smithers, Burns Lake and Likely.

we do 1 long trip per year usually for moose up near smithers or PG ...... when there was a 2 doe WT limit we went up to Cranbrook for 3 years and filled all our WT tags as well as being able to add an elk one year and a goat the next to fill the meat poles...

Up to a hour for a day hunt
    Up to 2.5 for a weekend hunt
    10 or so hours for a week+

Quote Originally Posted by stosto View Post
    How far will you travel to hunt? From your porch to international hunting trips, what drives your decisions and how far are you willing to go to hunt? Spending hours driving and hundreds of dollars on gas, it can hardly be justified as an exercise in subsistence hunting. Where are you on this?
    I stopped trying to justify hunting as a means to save money a long time ago! I don't care if you hunt out your back door, its probably not a break even type of activity. I do it because I love it, I do it because it provides 100% natural wild meat not because its cheaper than the grocery store. I will travel to the furthest corner of the province...20+ hours, and I will do it happily. Love the adventures
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

A large % of my moose hunting is within 30 miles of my house but with being non-native and declining moose seasons I find myself doing more a more hunting 3 hours out. Also enjoy hunting the peace region and thats 10-12 hours out.

Cost of travel isn't a consideration for the further hunts as the enjoyment factor is worth the price!

Arrow Re: how far will you go

I consider this type of trip a rather common experience, and then we jump in the jet rigs and push them 300 miles up the river.

I travel to Alberta quite commonly to hunt as well.
    Have hunted most of the Western US States, Sask, Alberta, BC, Yukon, NWT and Africa.

No distance is too far if the adventure upon arrival is right. Really.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me