Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Deer Feeder

Alpine Deer Feeder

I’ve read a few old posts on deer feeder suggestions. I have a nice buck on camera that I would like to try to get to stick around. Last year after he lost interest in the mineral lick and then he was gone until spring.

I don’t want to use corn or a cob mix with molasses to avoid brining in bears, do bears go for oats or barley or alfalfa pellets? Also, in the surrounding area none of these foods are an available food source to the deer being in the alpine, is there one that may be preferred over another in this case? Thank you

.....Also, should add that the feed will only be used until mid September as I know they can have issues with acidosis and after the end of September the area won’t be accessible anyway
    Last edited by hparrott; 07-14-2019 at 09:26 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine Deer Feeder

To supplement deer or any game animal's food during tough times is a good idea.
    To condition animals to stay in one place in my opinion removes fair chase from the situation. It may be legal but is it moral?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    To supplement deer or any game animal's food during tough times is a good idea.
    To condition animals to stay in one place in my opinion removes fair chase from the situation. It may be legal but is it moral?
    I support all legal hunting methods. You can disagree but there are enough anti-hunters in this province that having hunters against hunters, particularly in this forum, just adds to their cause. Save your breath and scroll on. There is a bit of irony in your criticism of this method of hunting and your post on conserving wildlife. ....I don’t like it so let’s ban it. You don’t like this....therefore it is morally wrong.

In my opinion, whether you set up a tree stand and hunt white tails by a corn field or natural food plot, it is no different than putting the food there. This is a common method of hunting. If you draw a line for supplemental feed, what else is morally wrong? I am comfortable with this choice.

Re: ways to consearve wildlife and still enjoy the hunt so we dont wipe it all out.

Some of you guys sound like liberals. I dont like it[or cant use it] so lets ban it.

Last edited by hparrott; 07-14-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Good point. Regulations outline the framework of what we can legally do. The code of ethics define what we morally do and who we are. Thanks for that.

Lets leave the ethics and morals behind, lets just follow government legislation.

No irony there.

https://westernforestry.org/Woodland...er-2014-v5.pdf

this has a ton of good information.

bears love oats, if you put oats down, you will have bears

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty76 View Post
    https://westernforestry.org/Woodland...er-2014-v5.pdf

this has a ton of good information.
    awesome thank you

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    bears love oats, if you put oats down, you will have bears
    Ok....no oats. Thank you.

Bears will beat the crap out of it no matter the what supplement food you put in it that time of the year....and from what iv seen, deer hit salt hard until the end of August when they are done growing head gear.