Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alpine Deer Feeder

Re: Alpine Deer Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    It sounds like your experience has been the same as mine with the minerals. I still haven't figured out yet what I will try this year, but I'll give it a shot. After what I have read so far though, I do suspect they may move on as per norm.....if they stuck around for even a few days past the 10th though it sure would be nice. If not I will have to try to figure out his route as he moves down for the winter
    I've heard from others that as soon as the velvet comes off they stop their summer routine, which generally has them out in the more open areas so they don't damage their velvet, and head straight for the thick stuff as they no longer have to worry about tearing up the velvet. It does kind of make sense and does somewhat fall in line with what I have seen. This year I'm trying the first week of Sept. with a bow/xbow to hopefully catch them before they rub and move on.

Animals "stage" no matter how high or how much food there is.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Proguide66 hiked up an entire bale of alfalfa into his blacktail spot and the results were a waste of effort. The deer simply did not care for it at all.

I hiked up some apples on a salt lick I set up last year. Blacktails also did not care for them. Gave them a quick sniff and went back to the salt. Birds packed at them some and then a bear found them and ate them a week later.

Again, BTs not mulies.
    I remember the first time i fed my chickens spaghetti, they wouldn't go near it . Now they sing opera and love it. Deer love apples they are an acquired taste over time. Lots of good deer in the orchards of the okanagan.
    Hunting the promised land

Any new food source that is introduced to deer will take a bit of time for their digestive enzymes to adjust to it.
    Thus a bit of hesitance with their initial encounters.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I've seen videos on youtube of people making their own - sugar, salt, and green apple flavoured jello. But they're also feeding whitetails that are likely on private property near farms and stuff in the states. Probably a bit different for wild alpine mule deer, but who knows, it might work?

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I remember the first time i fed my chickens spaghetti, they wouldn't go near it . Now they sing opera and love it. Deer love apples they are an acquired taste over time. Lots of good deer in the orchards of the okanagan.
    Italian guy feeds his chickens pasta .... shocking.

I wasnt about to keep hiking apples 2 hours up a 100% grade hillside. Lol. Maybe I'll get some dehydrated apples and soak them in a nearby creek once I'm up there.? Lol