Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Deer Feeder

Re: Alpine Deer Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    All I can say is good luck. I ran several bait sites on a chunk of private property for the last 3 full years. I tried everything, alph-alpha, COB, beets, corn, you name it. Mid September came along and none of the deer stuck around, they all disappeared for 2 or 3 months. Happened every year. Some came back very end of hunting season but were all nocturnal and the rest returned mid-winter. The other stands with just mineral blocks did just as well and didn't have the fricken crows in all the time. This was all on private land that should have had very little if any hunting pressure. I also found that specific individuals only showed up on the same 1 or 2 stands and none of the others, even when I stopped baiting one or the other and the stations aren't very far apart. This tells me the deer don't go out of their way or change up their travelling routes for it.

In short, my experience is the deer won't go out of their way or change their routes or seasonal habits for bait/feed. Basically, if it happens to be in the middle of the trail they use they will stop and eat it if they are hungry, otherwise they don't go looking for it. I have stopped buying all the different feeds and run just the mineral blocks now, cheaper and last a lot longer, and I've seen no difference, otherwise not worth the time and effort, if you are on a used trail they will come, if you're not, they won't.
    It sounds like your experience has been the same as mine with the minerals. I still haven't figured out yet what I will try this year, but I'll give it a shot. After what I have read so far though, I do suspect they may move on as per norm.....if they stuck around for even a few days past the 10th though it sure would be nice. If not I will have to try to figure out his route as he moves down for the winter
    Last edited by hparrott; 07-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Most feed grains will not only attract bears but will also start invasive plants in the alpine, feed grain will grow.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Most feed grains will not only attract bears but will also start invasive plants in the alpine, feed grain will grow.
    And if cattle are around they will mow it to oblivion.
    Simple fact.....place a bit of food down critters will eat it.

Heaven forbid you legally cultivate a 40 acre ranch in the back country, grow some hay that produces 3 cuts a yr and wildlife lives off it 9 months of the yr.
    Thats a completely different story.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hence asking how big the target buck is ..... but I see you only quote what you want to hear not what's there.

Roll eyes.
    Size of the buck is irrelevant to anyone but the OP. He's got the drive to go the extra mile in pursuit of a target buck. Guys like that eventually put it together and find the success they're after.

Most guys think a 170" buck is huge while some don't even blink at a deer like that.

Rolls eyes.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Size of the buck is irrelevant to anyone but the OP. He's got the drive to go the extra mile in pursuit of a target buck. Guys like that eventually put it together and find the success they're after.

Most guys think a 170" buck is huge while some don't even blink at a deer like that.

Rolls eyes.
    Gal but zero offence taken. Hiked nearly 8 hours day......no buck in sight. He continues to roll in at night still for the mineral lick that still remains. I hope you are right and that it eventually does come together and I appreciate the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    Gal but zero offence taken. Hiked nearly 8 hours day......no buck in sight. He continues to roll in at night still for the mineral lick that still remains. I hope you are right and that it eventually does come together and I appreciate the compliment.
    Do not underestimate how far animals travel in the course of a day, week, month, seasonally.
    A couple target bucks I have chased (and some of my contacts have experienced the same) have been caught on cam upwards of 20km away within a 24 hr period. Think about that.

Speaking from experience, it takes endless dedication and time in the field to put a few giants on the ground

I would wish you luck but luck has nothing to do with success.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Please don’t go dump agronomic seeds in the alpine - they can outcompete native species and mess up plant communities. How about putting some cameras out to figure out his patterns?

I feel your pain. I haven't been able to figure out the deer movements where I hunt after late August / early September. Everything after that just seems random to me. I would love to keep them predictable a little longer in the early season and have tried pretty much everything. I'm putting a lot of effort to set myself up for the first few days of bow season. We spent most of the day on Saturday rigging up a spot and clearing a shooting lane from my hiding spot to a major trail intersection. Crap work in crap vegetation and managed to get my ankle crazy infected (looks flesh eating, might need antibiotics) And I don't know if I'll even be able to get out for early bow season because work had been so nuts lately... a whole late of "wah" over here lol. Anyway I hope you drop that buck with all the effort you're putting in. Good luck man.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-17-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie O View Post
    I certainly dont see the word ban in my post, Or , I dont like it so you can't do it. That may be your interpretation of it .I personally compare it to baiting wich in my mind is not fair chase and your opinion is obviously different. I wish you straight shooting because it appears to me that luck and skill have been removed,
    You should try baiting for yourself, it sure as heck ain't a gimme. You're not going to pull every animal, if any, from all over the country side, they are either already there or they aren't and baiting doesn't change that, believe me I've tried. All it does is possibly get them to stop and stand still for a few minutes on a trail they already use, if they don't already take that path they don't go out of their way for it, unlike bears.