Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Deer Feeder

Re: Alpine Deer Feeder

Bears will eat pretty much anything, putting out a food source is habituating them. May not bother you but maybe the next
    person in the area un knowingly setting up a camp in the area of your bait it may affect.

Do a loose mineral mix, till it into the soil. The deer will use it all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Bears will beat the crap out of it no matter the what supplement food you put in it that time of the year....and from what iv seen, deer hit salt hard until the end of August when they are done growing head gear.
    Yes....that is what happened last year. The buck hit the salt he’d and then poof, he was gone. Since he came back to the same salt lick I’m hoping to keep him around another month

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Bears will eat pretty much anything, putting out a food source is habituating them. May not bother you but maybe the next
    person in the area un knowingly setting up a camp in the area of your bait it may affect.
    I don’t think feeding in the middle of nowhere from the start of August till the end of September will habituate a bear in the long term but that is exactly what I’d like to try to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    I don’t think feeding in the middle of nowhere from the start of August till the end of September will habituate a bear in the long term but that is exactly what I’d like to try to avoid.
    Habituation likely isn't an issue but a bear will clean up any sort of supplemental food source you drop in short order at this time of year.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Habituation likely isn't an issue but a bear will clean up any sort of supplemental food source you drop in short order at this time of year.
    Ok. Maybe synthetic scents? You can't use real deer urine anymore but it isn't the rut either. There are a lot of successful methods of using attractants and there must be a method of doing so without increasing the likelihood of an encounter with a grizz.

I certainly dont see the word ban in my post, Or , I dont like it so you can't do it. That may be your interpretation of it .I personally compare it to baiting wich in my mind is not fair chase and your opinion is obviously different. I wish you straight shooting because it appears to me that luck and skill have been removed,

Alpine.... as in you wanna haul up feed into the alpine? Wtf? How big is this buck? Because that sounds like waaaaay too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Alpine.... as in you wanna haul up feed into the alpine? Wtf? How big is this buck? Because that sounds like waaaaay too much effort.
    It's a long strenuous hike in and I purely enjoy the adventure. Been hiking in a few hours each way just to scout and check my cameras about every week and a half since late spring. Taking a heavier pack along the way wont kill me and if anything will just get me fitter for the pack out.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Because that sounds like waaaaay too much effort.
    That's the kind of attitude that keeps guys from killing hammers.
    Last edited by HighCountryBC; 07-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."