Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking - What rain gear to equip with?

Backpacking - What rain gear to equip with?

Hey guys,
    Recently wore out my long time rain pants, Sitka's Stormfront pant. Curious if anyone has experience with both the Sitka Stormfront pant and the Cloudburst pant? The Cloudburst is much cheaper and lighter than the stormfront but sacrifices durability from what I can tell. Specifically I am concerned with backpacking into sheep country with potentially many creek crossings. I found taking off my gear to cross creek crossings a major pain so over the years I have changed to wearing a waterproof pant with gators that allows me to go through water up to a couple feet deep without taking gear off and just trekking through it without any hesitation or wasted time. Any suggestions between the two or possibly cheaper alternatives?

Here's a link to the two pants on the main Sitka page:
    https://www.sitkagear.com/products/s...e-open-country
    https://www.sitkagear.com/products/c...e-open-country

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacking - What rain gear to equip with?

Iv used the cloudburst for a bunch of years now(4-5), I’d picked up a set of stormfronts last spring to try out. I ended up parting with the stormfronts, the cloud’s were a tad lighter, packed smaller, and just fit better I found. I didn’t care for the ankle strap on the stormfronts, I could see it as a tripping hazard.

I did blow out a side zip last fall on the cloud’s (mostly my fault), sitka replaced them no questions asked.

Cant go wrong with either set imo. The stormfronts got an upgrade this year, a guy might be able to find a good deal on the 2018 models somewhere.

I bought the cloudburst off a member on here and they are definitely not tough pants. In one blacktail hunt, sitting and glassing over some logs and stones I managed to put 4 little holes on the butt area.

However, the pants are lighter and more compact so I guess I should have expected that. If I was packing for sheep I would still take them but make sure I have my little glassing pad with me.

They fit great and have a great range of motion. They go on and off over boots really well and that was a huge plus when hunting alpine and using them as wind pants

I do like them. Will just be a bit more careful where I sit. With how often i wear rain gear, I wouldn't justify a pair any heavier than this to lug around.

I've used both, the cloudburst is light and waterproof, until you put a hole in them.
    The stormfront are heavier, don't pack as small, but are tough as hell, and stay waterproof for years.
    I dont have a problem packing the stormfronts around, in a long backpack hunt up north.
    As long as I can stay dry.
    So, I use the stormfronts only.
    If I had to replace my stormfronts, id buy stormfronts again.

I got a bear this spring while wearing my 2018 stormfronts with the timberline pants with knee pads underneath. It was a great trial run of my gear for this years planned sheep hunt. I did not tear a hole in my stormfront knees, but I definitely see why the 2019 models now have extra puncture protection on the knees. With the timberline pants underneath if was easy to comfortably crawl on my knees through the sharp shale, if I wasn’t careful I would have done some damage without even noticing.

Have a look at arcteryx leaf, tough, light, best rain gear I've ever tried, have to get on a sale otherwise ridiculous exspensive, I've never regretted the purchase

I’ve got a pair of First lite rain pants that are incredible. Full length zippers so putting them on over boots is a breeze. Just wore them last weekend while lake fishing in a hell of a wet day and stayed bone dry as usual.

I went with the cloudburst jacket and dewpoint pants. I went with the lighter pants because they spend 90% of their time in my bag since my regular pants are fairly weather resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I went with the cloudburst jacket and dewpoint pants. I went with the lighter pants because they spend 90% of their time in my bag since my regular pants are fairly weather resistant.
    My thinking also. How often do I actually have rain pants on? Not often.

Thank you for all the input boys. I'm leaning towards replacing the stormfront with stormfront what your comments and my experience. Mainly due to them being used specifically for my annual sheep hunt and I find I wear my rain paints a large majority of the time on these hunts.