Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser salmon runs blocked

Fraser salmon runs blocked

Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/
    Last edited by jonz; 07-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/
    My guess is that it will be too late before they come up with a plan or make an excuse for inaction. Hopefully I am wrong but won't hold my breath.

Salmon cannon to the rescue!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

This is photo op time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

This is photo op time.
    another reason to close all fishing.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    another reason to close all fishing.
    Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.
    A shortage of 4 points !? Close all deer hunting also !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence
    This is what I was thinking, but apparently, although they suspect the slide happened last fall, nobody was aware of it until recently.

They're still trying to figure out what to do.

They should just do what they did many years ago when the Fraser River became blocked.
    (Not sure if it was the Railways or who, but was human caused and blocked the river severely!!, I just cant find the "History" on it)

Anyways, the FN were upset (rightfully so!) at the lack of effort ot fix the issues before it devastated salmon stocks.
    So, the builts a wooden "Sluice" you could say.
    They got the salmon on the down river side, brought them up to the ramp sluices, and sent them down the ramps till they were passed the
    the blocked river.

Do that!
    Then, once the runs are done, "light Er up with some TnT" (or whatever they did to fix it back then)