Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Fraser salmon runs blocked

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Regina
    Posts
    236

    Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

    https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/
    Last edited by jonz; 07-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Abbotsford
    Posts
    525

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Not good but at least agencies are working together on it.

    https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/freeing-salmon-trapped-at-fraser-river-slide-site-the-focus-of-experts/
    My guess is that it will be too late before they come up with a plan or make an excuse for inaction. Hopefully I am wrong but won't hold my breath.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,166

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Salmon cannon to the rescue!
    Thomas Sowell said: “Activism is a way for useless people to feel important, even if the consequences of their activism are counterproductive for those they claim to be helping and damaging to the fabric of society as a whole.”

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    780

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

    This is photo op time.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Abby
    Posts
    1,407

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Fish are getting through. Water will start dropping. This slide happened last year, and we're worried about the slide "this week". Weird.

    This is photo op time.
    another reason to close all fishing.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    780

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    another reason to close all fishing.
    Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Abby
    Posts
    1,407

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Not really - close fisheries that affect these particular runs. There are plenty of other fisheries available that do not affect early chinooks or stuart river and mid summer sockeye. Your logic is like closing all hunting because there's a shortage of 4 pt mule deer in the Kootenays.
    A shortage of 4 points !? Close all deer hunting also !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,883

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    780

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    What annoys me is if this slide occurred last winter,they had the options of blasting the blockage and clearing the river ,something they can’t do when fish are returning.Another example of DFO incompetence
    This is what I was thinking, but apparently, although they suspect the slide happened last fall, nobody was aware of it until recently.

    They're still trying to figure out what to do.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: Fraser salmon runs blocked

    They should just do what they did many years ago when the Fraser River became blocked.
    (Not sure if it was the Railways or who, but was human caused and blocked the river severely!!, I just cant find the "History" on it)

    Anyways, the FN were upset (rightfully so!) at the lack of effort ot fix the issues before it devastated salmon stocks.
    So, the builts a wooden "Sluice" you could say.
    They got the salmon on the down river side, brought them up to the ramp sluices, and sent them down the ramps till they were passed the
    the blocked river.


    Do that!
    Then, once the runs are done, "light Er up with some TnT" (or whatever they did to fix it back then)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •