Thread: Thompson Steelhead NOT Listed

Thumbs down Thompson Steelhead NOT Listed

Government of Canada and Province of British Columbia partner to take bold action to conserve Steelhead Trout

News release
    July 11, 2019

Vancouver, British Columbia — Steelhead trout, an iconic British Columbia fish, have been in significant decline during recent years. The Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead runs in particular have reached critically low levels. The Governments of Canada and British Columbia are working together to conserve, protect, and recover Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead populations.

Today, the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, the Minister of Agriculture of British Columbia, Honourable Lana Popham, and the Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development in British Columbia, the Honourable Doug Donaldson released a comprehensive Steelhead Action Plan that contains new conservation measures for Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead Trout that will:

• reduce mortality and increase survival of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead returning to rivers to spawn;
    • improve freshwater conditions through habitat protection and restoration; and,
    • increase science and monitoring activities.

As part of this Action Plan, the Province of British Columbia is closing the recreational fisheries in the Thompson and Chilcotin watersheds and the Government of Canada is putting in place rolling closures for commercial salmon fisheries from September 6 to November 22, 2019, depending on the area. The federal closures may be subject to change due to in-season conditions as the steelhead return. We will also be improving freshwater conditions through improved watershed management and investments in habitat protection and restoration.

While an Emergency listing of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead populations as endangered under the Species at Risk Act was assessed, the Government of Canada has determined that an emergency listing would produce suboptimal ecological, social and economic outcomes relative to a comprehensive, long-term collaborative action plan with British Columbia. Our respective governments will move forward in close collaboration with Indigenous groups and stakeholders to implement measures that will work to restore these populations.

Quotes
    “Over the past several years we have witnessed significant declines in the numbers of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead Trout returning to spawn. We must take thoughtful near term action to ensure these runs are not lost forever. The Action Plan we are announcing today is the product of close and sustained collaboration between two governments that care deeply about the protection of biodiversity. Through the comprehensive measures contained in the Steelhead Action Plan we are taking the steps necessary to protect and restore these populations.”

The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

“We must act swiftly to ensure that these important runs don’t disappear entirely. With the steady decline in the returning Chilcotin and Thompson River steelhead trout spawn, our immediate first step must be to introduce measures to protect the remaining fish, coupled with a comprehensive plan to increase steelhead returning to spawn in our interior streams and rivers. We will continue to work closely with our federal partners to ensure we are both doing everything we can to make sure we protect and restore this iconic British Columbian species.”

The Honourable Lana Popham, Minister of Agriculture of British Columbia

“We need to work together on conservation measures to give Steelhead trout the best chance at long term survival as we try to reverse the decline in their numbers.”

The Honourable Doug Donaldson, Minister of Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development in British Columbia

The Government of Canada is putting in place rolling closures for all commercial salmon fisheries located along the migratory route and spawning areas of the Thompson and Chilcotin River Steelhead. The specific dates of these closures will range between September 6 to November 22, 2019, depending on the area:

• a closure window for commercial gillnet and seine fisheries in marine waters and in the Fraser River for 42 days, and for commercial salmon troll fisheries for 27 days;
    • a closure window for recreational salmon fisheries within the Fraser River and tributaries for a period of 42 days. Recreational salmon fisheries in marine areas will not be affected; and,
    • a closure window for First Nations’ Food, Social, and Ceremonial salmon fisheries occurring within the Fraser River and tributaries downstream of Thompson and Chilcotin River Steelhead spawning areas for 27 days. Food, Social and Ceremonial salmon fisheries in marine areas will not be affected.
    • The rolling closures may be subject to change due to in-season conditions as the steelhead are returning. Impacts of the recent rock slide near Lillooet, British Columbia are not yet fully known; both governments are working quickly to help salmon and steelhead migrate to their spawning grounds.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-o...ead-trout.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thompson Steelhead NOT Listed

To little to late and far from enough
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Absolute BS!! They will curtail chinook fishing on the chuck to save whales and a salmon run that has thousands more fish, but they will not protect a species with less than 200 individuals. This is the shit I lose sleep over and the reason I feel our wildlife and fish are doomed. F&*king clueless!!!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/ca...xtinction/amp/

And Barbie tows the party line as well..... seems this government purposefully makes the incorrect decision ever time.

Had this posted last night on the other thread.
    And yes, too little too late.
    I think Steelhead are doomed.
    Just too much political BS and there is the whole FN issues and them wanting "their share of rights to take salmon" and then there is definetly
    the commercial fishery at risk, which means jobs (and they have already taken a shit kicking over the past several decades).

BUT, this is where we are at!!
    Had they taken it seriously when we still had Thousands o steelhead returning, which should have been the alarm bell, maybe the outcome would have been different, but when you have less than 300 (that's right!, less than 300) to return to spawn, it's game over.
    Especially when they are a unintentional catch during other salmon openings!
    AND, when "NETS" are used, both commercial and FN!
    (and don't think for a second the FN are pulling the nets out all that often when steelies are running with other fish!)

Hers the link: "DFO buried scientists' concerns about endangered steelhead, B.C. deputy minister says:"

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-minister-says

wow so last year open season on the sockeye....i don't think there was an hour without nets crossing the river, but this year all of a sudden steelhead are a priority. sounds like just another excuse to exclude certain groups from the river...

remember this photo from last year:

source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo723OVj...s_sportfishing

^^^^I know, its all messed up!

What you are saying is very true.
    Now, if they react because of the Steelhead, I doubt any of us Rec Salmon Fisher Folks with rod and hook only, will probably never get to fish for god
    knows how long.
    And all because they did sweet F'all when they should have "years ago".
    That is the problem, waiting until it is "too late".
    It is too late!
    Unless they have hatcheries just for steelhead to pump numbers up quick and can be a "by product catch".
    Otherwise, our lines will stay dry and the FN nets will still hit the water!
    And that will be the end of them.