Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance

Re: Taking a chance

I would be more concerned about matching hunting styles. ie: wake early and hike around or doddle all morning and then spend most of the day on a quad. Some people will get quite upset or bitchy at others if they have differing opinions on things or different expectations. I've been on group trips where I'm the new guy and I'd follow the routine that was the camp normal. [ gone by sun up and and back after sun down ] as well as other group trips where we will sit around all morning and leave camp by about 2pm for the evening hunt. As long as nobody is judgemental then it's all good.

Yup, i've done it. It may not always work out long-term or develop into a real friendship, but i've never been on any "bad" hunts where i was uncomfortable or ended the hunt early or anything like that.

However, having said that, definitely do your homework on who you are taggin up with. Some people have all the gear and seem llike they've done this many times, but the reality is that they may not have much back country experience at all.

I wouldn't be afraid to ask things like "How many trips like this have you done?" or "how did your last hunt go? What did you do and for how long?"

Keep the dialogue going and go for it. See some new country and learn lots! Hopefully come home with some meat. You would get to hunt in a beautiful area. If it’s a September hunt then start walking or biking or hiking now every other day and you’ll be ok. I would do it if I were you. Think of all you have to gain

I was in your shoes....A few years into hunting, the only 2 guys I had ever hunted with could not hunt all season.

I still wanted to hunt a fair bit so I was forced to put myself out there. I met up with friends of friends, a person who knows a guy who hunts, or even someone from this site.

Some hunts were more successful than others but I had a good time on all of them. It’s better than not hunting.

I learned something new about gear, their set-up, or woodsmanship from everyone I hunted with. I added what I liked from each and I’m now a way better hunter.

Now I have lots of people to hunt with and not enough time to buy with them all in season!

2 people focused on hunting can get along no matter their backgrounds.
    WSSBC Life Member

Smoking is good for Hunting! Masks Human scent (sit around campfire) had a smoke years back and got close to animals. Especially Deer, ime.

Never did hunt with rando BUT lived with folks that I'd only met online for a total of 8 - ish years. Nobody can tell ya how it'll be. Hopefully closer to heavenly than run ins with psychos yet both happen.

P.s. - hilarious qoutes Caddis love that lolz

lol i have made some freinds over my time on hbc..

hunting isnt just about making a kill...go for the adventure..

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Keep the dialogue going. Engage in conversation about everything from camp, to strategy, to gear, meals, personal habits, health status and all the good stuff. It's important that expectations are communicated about everything whether it is directly, indirectly or a bit of both.

Otherwise there can be all sorts of surprises.

"What, you smoke? Now every animal on the mountain has us busted!"

"I prefer to focus on hunting later in the day, drink beers and enjoy a good old campfire then have a good sleep in. Stop being so serious and enjoy your time out here man"

"What? It's only fair we split all the costs of the trip. My tranny died and needed a $2000 repair on the trip. It's only fair you pay half"

"Base camp? I ain't sleeping at no base camp... we're going two days deep and sleeping under a tarp. Wait what? You didn't bring a sleeping bag?"

"You didn't get the memo? I'm the camp cook. You're the pot scrubber"

"When I said we'd split the meat, I meant you carry half... you can have some of the rib and neck tho"

"What? I thought it was assumed this was like a naked hunting honeymoon thing"
    Classic. Well done.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

its been said, but just keep talking. You could make a lifelong friend and new hunting buddy. Some things to consider are dedication to the hunt...if weather is bad are one of you going to bail, what is the quality of gear each of you have...some people think they are prepared then find out they aren't. Honestly though it sounds like he has done this before and you haven't. If I was you I would go for it, your fairly new to hunting, he could teach you lots, you could have a wicked time. No matter what you will learn something...for good or bad. I would giver if its something your even considering
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

For me it depends on the trip..remote stressful tiring long trips are trying for best friends at times but also good for really getting to know someone lol. Nothing like getting charged by a griz or having boat/truck problems or falling in a river to find out what your partners are made of LOL These are the types of trips I only go on with a select few...I knew a guy for years and went on a 2 week remote trip just the two of us..we don't talk much anymore

Now short and close truck camping style trips or even day trips with less expectation and financial investment is where you want to test out a new partner...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    "What? I thought it was assumed this was like a naked hunting honeymoon thing"
    Hmmmmm.....
    "Dad... how did you and mom meet????"
    "well, my son, there as this add for a hunting buddy..."