Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance

Re: Taking a chance

My experience hunting with someone I met on this site didn’t go so well but I can see why he might not have the greatest feelings towards me. I did get pretty sick on our first hunt together in mid November, and then on the second hunt the following September I rolled my ankle pretty badly on day 2.

With all that being said, bring your own vehicle and go for it. There’s nothing like being 12 hours from home and even with a twisted ankle you want to stay, if your partner wants to bail and he’s your ride... it was a long drive home.

The older I get the more I enjoy hunting alone.

Mostly because I'm liking people less and less......

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    The older I get the more I enjoy hunting alone.

Mostly because I'm liking people less and less......
    Lol that is understandable if you dont like people

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    My experience hunting with someone I met on this site didn’t go so well but I can see why he might not have the greatest feelings towards me. I did get pretty sick on our first hunt together in mid November, and then on the second hunt the following September I rolled my ankle pretty badly on day 2.

With all that being said, bring your own vehicle and go for it. There’s nothing like being 12 hours from home and even with a twisted ankle you want to stay, if your partner wants to bail and he’s your ride... it was a long drive home.
    Oh that sucks! That would be a long ride home for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    People can surprise you for sure...I went on an Ice fishing weekend trip with a bunch of dudes I'd worked with for years, no one mentioned it was a hardcore drug weekend, hardcore to me anyway, maybe not to some...I've never done coke or extasy, I drink beer and have been known to stay up past midnight drinking with buddies..I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 8am and made bacon and eggs, they were all still up sprawled around the cabin like junkies, I offered some food, no one was hungry , I fished till 4pm with another guy who was high as a kite, went back to the cabin and nothing changed...I drove home...apparently they didn't sleep all weekend, not my idea of fun...you'd think someone would have let me know...I was naive but sometimes you just never know people till you do..
    Oh wow man that would be horrible! I enjoy my beers after a good day of hunting. Drugs arent my thing so I'd be with you heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrachan View Post
    Lol that is understandable if you dont like people
    Don't get me wrong...I think you should go for it!

I'm just speaking from my own experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I met 604ksmith off this site. I am 25 years his senior. He is a regular in my hunting world now. He lives 8 hours away from me but we talk hunting every week of the year and get about 3 hunts in a year together now. It can work!
    Lol ... that's funny because he's the one I met up with as well and with whom it didnt work out.

We went on 3-4 outings and I think our ideas of how we want to approach the game differ ... but he is a very nice guy!

I'd go for it, but I'd bring my own gear and be fully self reliant, if things aren't working out then all the best to the other guy, but it's time to split up....two vehicles sounds like a good idea for this scenario
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Talk and iron out all the details, food, cost splitting, home butcher/paid butcher, fuel, atv or not. Accommodations because the new guy sleeps in 5 star hotels only, while I slept in my truck at the hunting location. But we had a great time.
    Heard a story where 3 guys needed a forth for a 10 day hunt and a guy showed up only to find the first three with their pallet of beer (60 cases, 1440 cans, 2000 lbs)in a trailer with a running refrigerator in it keeping the beer cold. Drunk by 10 am they were. Forth guy packed up and left on the second day. I would have too.
    Uh, are they still looking for a fourth guy??
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I wonder how many hunt in "hunting parties" (3 or more people) these days.
    Most of the time I hunt with 1 other buddy or alone on occasion.
    But it's sure hard to find a good hunting partner in this day and age where many people have to have all the conveniences of home with them at all times.
    Back in the old country I don't know anyone who hunted alone. It was always groups of 5 or more people.
    I feel lucky that I found one guy who I can hunt with.
    Occasionally I think it might be interesting to expand the group and the range we travel.
    Who knows
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach