Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance

Taking a chance

Good evening HBC folks hope you all had a great day!

So here is my scenario. I'm part of a fb group for hunting and fishing. The other day I noticed a post reading: Anybody interested in joining up for a elk hunt in MU 7-35

I replied I might be interested. After talking to the fellow turns out his regular hunting partner cant go and hates climbing hills...most people do..lol..

My question is have any of you ever gone on a hunting trip with someone you had never hunted with before and met online for a significant amount of time?

He lives in Quennell and I live in Nanaimo. I have never hunted off the Island and fairly new to the hunting world 4 years this season.

I want to take the chance as I've always wanted to hunt elk and moose.
    Thought good or bad
    Thank you,
    Brian

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Taking a chance

Worst case scenario, it could suck and you decide to split up and hunt solo. Best case, it works out well and you make a buddy. Just be upfront about expectations, cost sharing, booze, expectations etc. Didn't work out when I attempted it though.

Keep the dialogue going. Engage in conversation about everything from camp, to strategy, to gear, meals, personal habits, health status and all the good stuff. It's important that expectations are communicated about everything whether it is directly, indirectly or a bit of both.

Otherwise there can be all sorts of surprises.

"What, you smoke? Now every animal on the mountain has us busted!"

"I prefer to focus on hunting later in the day, drink beers and enjoy a good old campfire then have a good sleep in. Stop being so serious and enjoy your time out here man"

"What? It's only fair we split all the costs of the trip. My tranny died and needed a $2000 repair on the trip. It's only fair you pay half"

"Base camp? I ain't sleeping at no base camp... we're going two days deep and sleeping under a tarp. Wait what? You didn't bring a sleeping bag?"

"You didn't get the memo? I'm the camp cook. You're the pot scrubber"

"When I said we'd split the meat, I meant you carry half... you can have some of the rib and neck tho"

"What? I thought it was assumed this was like a naked hunting honeymoon thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    Worst case scenario, it could suck and you decide to split up and hunt solo. Best case, it works out well and you make a buddy. Just be upfront about expectations, cost sharing, booze, expectations etc. Didn't work out when I attempted it though.
    Thanks for your input. We both have talked and we are both not heavy drinkers he is 33 I am 43 and have no desire to get drunk anymore..lol..its a tough choice as I want to take the chance but same time long ways to go to find out it's not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Keep the dialogue going. Engage in conversation about everything from camp, to strategy, to gear, meals, personal habits, health status and all the good stuff. It's important that expectations are communicated about everything whether it is directly, indirectly or a bit of both.

Otherwise there can be all sorts of surprises.

"What, you smoke? Now every animal on the mountain has us busted!"

"I prefer to focus on hunting later in the day, drink beers and enjoy a good old campfire then have a good sleep in. Stop being so serious and enjoy your time out here man"

"What? It's only fair we split all the costs of the trip. My tranny died and needed a $2000 repair on the trip. It's only fair you pay half"

"Base camp? I ain't sleeping at no base camp... we're going two days deep and sleeping under a tarp. Wait what? You didn't bring a sleeping bag?"

"You didn't get the memo? I'm the camp cook. You're the pot scrubber"

"When I said we'd split the meat, I meant you carry half... you can have some of the rib and neck tho"

"What? I thought it was assumed this was like a naked hunting honeymoon thing"
    Caddisguy thanks for the input. All your points make sense to me. We have been talking and have learned stuff about each other. About hunting and non hunting stuff. Funny thing is we both work at a pulp mill...lol...

To be honest I'm more questioning myself. I'm 43 and let's say I have the dad body..lol.. I dont smoke but I'm no 33 year old anymore and my lack of experience is holding me back. He did say that doesnt bother him but I would hate to ruin someone's hunt.

What were the issues you believe that caused it not to workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    Why do you believe it didnt turn out? Personality issues, cleanliness,

You'll never know if you don't take a chance
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

If you dont take a chance you will never do FA....best advice I ever got.

Definitely go for it
    been on several hunts with people I didn't know
    most of them were limited entry hunts
    some were better than others but always a good time
    take a chance go have fun
    nothing ventured nothing gained