Thread: Off lead training advice

Off lead training advice

Hello, new member here with a couple questions about off lead recall training. I’m looking for advice or tips on how to get my dog to not bolt when he’s off the lead. When he was a pup, I could take him off lead through the trails or on bike rides and he would stay within a reasonable distance and always came back when called (even if it took 5-10min of calling). Now if he’s off the lead and there are no fences he just runs like a bat outta hell like he’s trying to reach the next county.

If if we are at a fenced dog park he will roam, but comes back when called no matter where I’m at in the park. I tried him off the lead half way through a mountain bike ride the other day and he did fairly well until he hopped the trail and hightailed it cross country.

He does well on a long lead up to 40ft out and will break off what he’s doing and return. He’s an intact, almost 2yr old Jagdterrier. It’s only been since this spring that he’s taken to running hard off the lead without stopping. If anyone know’s these dogs they can go for miles without stopping. Like I said, in an enclosed space no matter how big, he recalls no problem. I’ve got him working with a standard 3 step e-collar and very very rarely have to go beyond the tome or vibration stage before he will recall no matter what he’s doing.

I’m planning on going the gps collar route but was hoping that someone would have some advice for the mean-time as those collar/handheld units are pricey. I just don’t want him getting lost or hit by a car if he decides to go on a hot ride. Thanks for the help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Off lead training advice

The dog needs a reason to return to you over all the other reasons not too. A 2 year old intact male will have lots of reasons not to come when called.

There needs to be either a compelling reason to return to you (food, praise, fun etc.) or punishment for not returning (a meaningful correction with the e collar) or a combination of both.

This won't be fixed until you commit to setting and maintaining a very high standard around obedience. Every time you get lazy and are not prepared to enforce your command, either rewarding for good behavior or corrcting for naughty behavior or a combination of both, the dog will learn very quickly that it doesn't ALWAYS have to obey if it doesn't want too. Consistency is one of the keys.

There are no quick fixes and every breed and every dog is different. Some naturally want to hang with you and some could care less. You, or someone with lots of experience, will need to evaluate your dog and decide what's appropriate for him.

Unfortunately, most people are too lazy to commit to putting the required time and effort into proper training.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

A 2 year old intact Jagdterrier!??Good Luck to you!Apparently you have no idea what you got yourself into!

Do you actually use him for hunting??

I’d think 100% recall with an intact terrier would be nearly impossible. Terriers are great dogs (my parents have one), but are not a good off-leash breed from what I’ve seen
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Jagd terriers, oh boy.
    I have seen many back in the old country and I would not describe any of them as "obedient".
    They are just let loose on fox and badger holes.
    I think that if you have not managed to train him by now it will be an uphill battle, especially since he is intact.
    You have to find something he values a lot (food or toy or...) and use it to get him to come back to you.
    Like labguy said strong commitment and lots of practice.
    Good luck!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I recall doing "Come When Called" classes with our first Toller. We actually signed up 3 times before her recall was even reasonable. One of the Instructors had 2 small Terriers with her and she said she never lets them off leash unless in a fenced area or they are gone.
    But, back to training - LabGuy says it very well, the dog's overall obedience, not just recall has to be worked on, and worked on and worked on.
    Our second Toller is a totally different guy - his recall after limited work is quite acceptable, not perfect but good enough for us.
    Our newest Toller is progressing quite well, a combination of continual obedience training ( originally started to stop her from chasing our cat ) focusing on treats ( rewards ) and the judicious use of an E collar.
    There are a few really experienced dog folks on this site, suggest you heed what folks like labguy is telling you.
    And, good luck.

The moment you drop leash, he is off and running. There are two reasons.
    One, he is not getting enough fullbore exercise where he gets to run to burn it off. I would say he needs this on a daily basis for a fairly extended session.
    Two, you do not have his loyalty. He probably thinks that you can protect yourself so why should he comeback on call.
    You need to create a close bond. This is easier when they are pups but it takes work as they age. Take him with you on every opportunity you have. Going to the store, ask him if he wants to go for a ride. Have him sit by you. Pet, caress, scratch, massage him every opportunity. Watching TV, make him a lap dog. Take him to a large dog park. Have your wife or one of your children hold him as to march off to the other side. Raise your arm and whoever is holding release with instruction like, "go to dad" when your arm drops or you blow a dog whistle or both. Start at short distances ever increasing with success. Do not do this with anyone that is not a family member. You want that dog to be your's and your's only. Coming to family is good, but don't bother with others.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

[QUOTE=Jagermeister;2103381]

Going to the store, ask him if he wants to go for a ride. Take him to a large dog park.

"Ask him "

He is a JAGDTERRIER.........you don't ask,you tell a Jagdterrier!
    They are different than all the other terrier breeds with maybe the Heideterrier being similar.
    Rainer