Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Hunting

Rabbit Hunting

Hello Fellow Hunters,

I am a very new hunter who just got his license last year. I’m planning to go on a cottontail or snowshoe hare hunt August 1st week when the season opens. I have been up the coquihalla and Merritt last year, but did not see even a single rabbit or hare. Could you suggest some place in the lower mainland where I will have a change to shoot them please. Any advice will help. I have a shotgun and a Ford Escape, so can travel on FSR but not off road. Thanks a lot for your advice in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rabbit Hunting

Jassmine was our Rabbitt hunter buts shes MIA ! lol RJ

I was going to suggest the Burnaby Mtn/SFU area, but I haven't seen any updates lately.....

Last yeR I got quite a few on the east side of manning, still drivable but not exactly lml.

I see them on the island occasionally. Nanaimo all the way up to Courtenay, though they are often in the neighborhood areas (where u can't shoot em).

I hunt the LM, up the Coquihalla and Connector lots. I/we see and shoot rabbits and grouse on a regular basis.

If you are serious about it, send me a PM.

Thanks a lot for the reply guys. Much appreciated. I don’t mind driving up to 3 hours to shoot the critters �� I live in Cloverdale

Search some posts by HareAssassin (where is that guy btw, I dont think I've seen any posts recently!!) -- he knew his stuff for sure.

I look for hare myself any time I'm out in the fall but they're hard to find during the day. I find the majority at lower elevations and they come out as the shadows get long in the day, and usually along FSRs that were replanted probably 10 or so years prior where the trees are less than 15-20 feet tall. They like low lying cover but there's lots of info on this forum if you look for it. Welcome to the site!

ActionJackson is right. Late in the day is when they will come out. Bring a cooler and ice with you and brine them overnight in salty water to pull the bitter dandelion taste out. They also have some of the best liver, if you like liver. Late October is awesome as they start to turn white before the snow falls and are easy pickin's.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Will be fun follow